The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Clutch

egrossi

Guys last question before I cough up.

Whats the life of a clutch on a N/A Supra or when would you be looking to change or the signs of one needing a new one.

As I will looking at a few this weekend and next week.

Sorry Admin am sending the dollars to ya honest.

This can't be answered - not for the Supra or any other car. It depends entirely on how it's used.

I had a clutch replaced on my other car in May. I am pretty easy on my clutch, don't do any drag starts (at least, not by slipping the clutch) and I expect it to last well over 50K miles - maybe even 100k. However - had I wished - I'm sure I could have destroyed it by now.

Guys last question before I cough up.

Whats the life of a clutch on a N/A Supra or when would you be looking to change or the signs of one needing a new one.

As I will looking at a few this weekend and next week.

Sorry Admin am sending the dollars to ya honest.

Look for a slipping clutch mate. Its when the revs climb but the car doesn't move, accelerating and changing gear. You will probably find that its the release bearing thats gone. I had this happen to me when i was on my way to reading for an interview, three weeks after i bought the n/a!!! :(

Look for a slipping clutch mate. Its when the revs climb but the car doesn't move, accelerating and changing gear. You will probably find that its the release bearing thats gone. I had this happen to me when i was on my way to reading for an interview, three weeks after i bought the n/a!!! :(

The best way to check this :

With the car at standstill, put the handbrake on, put it in first and gently let the clutch out (press the accelerator slightly as if you were pulling away).

It should stall. If it happily revs (but stays still) the clutch is slipping and is on it's way out.

I forgot to do this when I bought my car 2 weeks ago - must try it when it gets back from it's service!

The best way to check this :

With the car at standstill, put the handbrake on, put it in first and gently let the clutch out (press the accelerator slightly as if you were pulling away).

It should stall. If it happily revs (but stays still) the clutch is slipping and is on it's way out.

I forgot to do this when I bought my car 2 weeks ago - must try it when it gets back from it's service!

Yeah thanks dave, didn't know that, i'll do that in future. It'll come in handy when i buy my tt next year. If i would have known about what tricks to lookout for i could of stopped the salesman conning me out of 500quid for a new clutch which obviously must have knew was going. W**ker! :twak: :D