The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT Failiure

gaijin

I'm a tester mate and it doesn't matter what the speedo reads, take it back and ask them to show you where it says in the testers manual bet they can't!

The lights, yeh, they are right, but they HAVE to word it right, they can't fail it on blue sidelights, only that the fact they 'emmit light to the front other than white'

Hope that helps.

mine has also got blue sidelights and my mot man told me he checks that they are WORKING, not by the colour they are which seems fair enough to me:rolleyes:

Your lucky then, I tend to let them go as its not really that bad an issue but they can fail anything which doesn't show white/yellow to the front and red/yellow to the rear!

MOT in Northern Ireland is run differently to over here (it's not like you can go down the road to a small run MOT station) These are run like heavy goods MOT stations where there are only a couple in the country which means not alot to get away with. They also have to display their MOT disc in the window of the car like the tax disc.

You should see the MOT centres here.Huge sheds that take everything from a motorbike to a 40 tonner.All computerised.Cars are tested for emissions first then all the usual:lights,horn,indicators etc.Then comes a shock and spring test.Car is driven over plates that shake and vibrate;efficiency of suspension is calculated by a computer and displayed as a graph.Next is the brakes.Onto a roller for front and rear brakes and handbrake.Again efficiency calculated by computer and shown on a graph.Finally the car is driven onto a ramp.Blocks are put on the cars side chassis frame.The ramp falls away except where the blocks are (between the wheels)This leaves the car suspended,with the suspension at full 'droop'.The inspector then goes underneath for a good poke and hoke.Forgot,just before the ramp is dropped;the wheels are locked into place and the vehicle vibrated and shook.The ramp is lowered and the car driven off it.The inspector then says yea or nay.The computer then producers a'pass' disc,with bar code,to be displayed alongside the tax disc,which can be scanned by the police or (eventually)our new'wardens for validityNerve tablets are reccommended.Price is £35 odds,with a re-test at £18.50p(a time)This is not a 'police'state.Honest.

Jon it has just recently came into place (3 months or so) to pull N.I closer to EU standards for MOT testing - hence KPH being needed. It has caught a lot of people out. They also made the headlight alignment and brake bias testing harder, infact a majority of cars are failing on the brake bias tests because the testing equipment to their standards is so fookin expensive. with a 3 month test backlog and 60% failure rate any wonder they work with a smile permantly on their bakes!

With the dials, many supra owners here are running a speedo conversion and the MPH sticker on the Gauge face. Most opt for fitting the dual reading gauges just for the MOT (Testers dont check speedo calibration if your testing in Larne or Boucher road) Then put the orginal back on. Im trying to track down some 180MPH/300KPH replacements becuase of this.

Mark MOT law in N.Ireland requires the Speedo to display Both a MPH and KPH reading. One or the other is not sufficent for an indiated pass. This law has just been introduced here is a Royal PITA. Ive managed to get a batch of Dual reading faces made up for this Problem.

I'm understanding the question now:thumbs: