The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Standard tyre sizes

stevie_b

I've done many searches trying to find what size tyres I should put on the standard 16" alloys in order to keep it stock. I've narrowed it down to this:

Front: 225/50 16

Rear: 245/45 16 OR 245/50 16

Can anyone confirm which is the correct rear tyre size? What does the 2nd number (e.g. 45 or 50) actually signify?

Thanks

Front: 225/50 16

Rear: 245/45 16 OR 245/50 16

245/50/16 is wrong. On the rear of an NA the standard size is either 225/50/16 or 245/45/16 (both are standard sizes iirc)

The 50 or 45 bit is the Aspect Ratio and represents the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width. This is why a wider tyre needs a lower aspect ratio sidewall - so that the over all height remains about the same.

245/50/16 is wrong. On the rear of an NA the standard size is either 225/50/16 or 245/45/16 (both are standard sizes iirc)

The 50 or 45 bit is the Aspect Ratio and represents the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width. This is why a wider tyre needs a lower aspect ratio sidewall - so that the over all height remains about the same.

same as what i said then :p :D

although, i'm sure some of the earlier cars actually came with 245/50/16's didn't they?

i'm sure i can remember reading that somewhere....

225/16/14 fook that might be why i get a bit of noise from wheels scrubbing sometimes! mine came fitted with 275/35/17 rear and 235/40/17 front.

need to change em i think thanks for the info.

Blimey that's an old one! Answers the question though. Cheers.

225/16/14 fook that might be why i get a bit of noise from wheels scrubbing sometimes! mine came fitted with 275/35/17 rear and 235/40/17 front.

225/16/14 ? What do you mean?

275/35/17 and 235/40/17 are about right. Shouldn't cause you any problems.

Steve, look inside the drivers door shut, pretty sure you have a toyota sticker giving proper sizes and pressures if i remember right, but i'd stay off the weird Jap import semi slick things this time!!! Haha!

Attached - one picture of the toyota sticker for your viewing pleasure :) It's on a 1994 jspec NA ... I don't know if tyres changed over the years.

DSC00343.JPG