The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Turbo On a Budget

SupraKid

Alright i have a Manual Uk Twin Turbo.

Just wondering what sort of cost i'll be looking at getting a single turbo conversion done?

I'll be happy with around 500bhp, is it possibly to get 500bhp out of the twin turbos?

I dont really want to be upgrading things like injectors and brakes, cos i dont really want big big power, just a modest 500:eyebrows:

Already my car has Blitz Nur Spec exhuast, Greddy boost controller, and HKS FconS piggy back ecu.

Is there a kit i can buy so all i have to do is get the parts fitted, and im ready roll with 500bhp!?

I'll be looking to get this done after around feburary time, just need to know how much i have to save up!!!

Cheers

its cost me £3500 so far mate,

thats alot of second hand, but very decent stuff.

And thats not touching the fueling or clutch, so theres another grand.

Im expecting 550 max out of mine, without fueling.

You wont get 500bhp out of your uk spec turbos, maybe a good 450 though if you go bpu+

Would be fine, but there will be lots of extra costs involved. i would say 1000 for clutch and 1000 for fueling, then there is the service at the same time. etc etc

edit:

Listen mate, if you wanna come and chat to a young guy who went single before he could afford to come and see me. i now have my supra off the rd saving for a rebuild. Stick with BPU its more than enough!

So its basically a bad idea going single with a low budget?

Thats ok, i think i'll be sticking to BPU then! :lol:

Whats BPU+ btw?

Im not sure if my car is even fully bpu, would putting a front mount intercooler help powerwise?

And is there any uprages for the twin turbo set up? My turbos are on 109k miles so im guessin they're going to give up some time soon anyway!!

Your better off doing things right mate yes :)

Chances are your standard intercooler is completely had it, so a new intercooler would make a vast difference and you'll see a good gain in power :)

my turbos started giving up after 120k, the oil seals dont last forever im afraid.

BPU+ is basic power upgrades (exhaust, decat, boost controller, filter (maybe)) plus an intercooler, cam gears, lightened pulleys etc.

Where abouts in essex are you? better to chat through these hing face to face. if you intercooler crumbles when you touch it.....its foooked. turbos will last plenty more than 109 K at stock levels if they have been looked afer. Not sure about BPU though. BPU + and BPU are very similar. FMIC better fuel pump, boost controller, bigger injectors. most of which are already covered by a UK spec anyway!

So its basically a bad idea going single with a low budget?

Well, some have done it with £2k. I did it on £8k when you factor in labour as well.

On top of your choice of turbo & manifold - Mods like a fueling, ECU, decent mapping, IC, AFR monitoring are a MUST.

Mods like RLTC, decent brake setup - are perhaps not a MUST to get you going - but they certainly help.

Where abouts in essex are you? better to chat through these hing face to face. if you intercooler crumbles when you touch it.....its foooked. turbos will last plenty more than 109 K at stock levels if they have been looked afer. Not sure about BPU though. BPU + and BPU are very similar. FMIC better fuel pump, boost controller, bigger injectors. most of which are already covered by a UK spec anyway!

Im in Ilford mate, where abouts in essex are you?

I was thinking i can go single for around 4kish, but i dont think that will be possible, so i might just go BPU+ and concentrate on looks! :)

What about hybrid turbos etc? what sort of bhp do they get?

Im in Ilford mate, where abouts in essex are you?

I was thinking i can go single for around 4kish, but i dont think that will be possible, so i might just go BPU+ and concentrate on looks! :)

What about hybrid turbos etc? what sort of bhp do they get?

Stansted airport, so not far.

Hybrids are not worth it IMO, as your UK turbos will stand 1.4 bar. (dont quote me as you maybe un lucky)

Remember....looks dont make you go any faster

If you only have the mods you state then you will need £4k to build a basic spec single, if you do most of the work yourself (and believe me its not that easy). You will need more money (a lot more) to make it run 500/550+bhp on a regular basis.

However I recommend you have a drive in a properly sorted single (not one of the mickey mouse ones) and see if its really for you. Its a serious amount of power and not for everyone.

Also, as mentioned by Jake don't beleive all the figures you see. Your current car could run anywhere between 300 and 500 bhp dependant on where you take it.

see i had a test drive in a Single turbo converted one with 550bhp with dyno print out from Engine Advantages - i know they over read a bit! but i absolutly loved it!!! it however was a Jap spec, and had tonnes spent on it, its at my local dealer at the moment. Its a right beast, i would love my supra to have similar power figures!

see i had a test drive in a Single turbo converted one with 550bhp with dyno print out from Engine Advantages - i know they over read a bit! but i absolutly loved it!!! it however was a Jap spec, and had tonnes spent on it, its at my local dealer at the moment. Its a right beast, i would love my supra to have similar power figures!

If it was an automatic and that was a flywheel figure then I wouldn't read too much into it...... mine made 430bhp at the fly there despite only being 300rwhp :conf: Like you'd said, they over-read a lot.

For that sort of money you do have other options, to get your power figures up...

fmic

induction (questionable?)

exhaust - decat

full fuel system

ecu or something decent to control the new fuelling

cams

And then somethings that would be highly recommended as well...

suspension and diff - help to get the power down more effectively

brakes

clutch

flywheel

IMO - this is what I am going to do, along with an engine build.

Alright i have a Manual Uk Twin Turbo.

Just wondering what sort of cost i'll be looking at getting a single turbo conversion done?

I'll be happy with around 500bhp, is it possibly to get 500bhp out of the twin turbos?

I dont really want to be upgrading things like injectors and brakes, cos i dont really want big big power, just a modest 500:eyebrows:

Already my car has Blitz Nur Spec exhuast, Greddy boost controller, and HKS FconS piggy back ecu.

Is there a kit i can buy so all i have to do is get the parts fitted, and im ready roll with 500bhp!?

I'll be looking to get this done after around feburary time, just need to know how much i have to save up!!!

Cheers

where are you in essex, I am in Purfleet and you are welcome to come see and experience a full single conversion (HKSTO4R) and see if it is for you, I have spent a fortune in the past on the quest for more and more BHP and you need to ask yourself do you need the power or is it just bragging rights (not a bad thing;) ) because if you are not going to use it to the full and it is not very often you can use 550BHP in town then maybe a good BPU built would be better and more drivable

Hybrids are not worth it IMO, as your UK turbos will stand 1.4 bar. (dont quote me as you maybe un lucky)

Dont think 1.4 is a good idea on stock turbos, 1.15 is probably max for every day driving, 1.2 for a quickie here and there if you have a boost controller to change between. Hybrids can go up higher, 1.4 is o.k perhaps. Ive got hybrids, they add a lot more power, im on 410 with just BPU and the hybrids running 1.1 bar, altough at higher speeds 90+ the boost can raise to 1.2 and really high speeds like 160 i reckon its about 1.3