The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Im now bpu'd

Guest mk47

but have used the restrictor ring and not getting anything over 10psi boost :rolleyes: so im thinking should i completely remove the ring or shall i drill some holes in it and try again? anyone else had this problem?

Sounds good to me, now just get a boost controller to raise the boost up to where u want it.

Shouldnt need to on a j-spec car. Once de-catted, the restrictor ring is there to keep boost levels in check. Anything over 1.2 bar/17 psi is suicidal for j-spec tubbies. Now Maz is fully de-catted he should be seeing somewhere near 16-17psi after 4500rpm. Sounds like somethings not right. Should see 10psi on number 1 turbo alone.

Shouldnt need to on a j-spec car. Once de-catted, the restrictor ring is there to keep boost levels in check. Anything over 1.2 bar/17 psi is suicidal for j-spec tubbies. Now Maz is fully de-catted he should be seeing somewhere near 16-17psi after 4500rpm. Sounds like somethings not right. Should see 10psi on number 1 turbo alone.

Restrictor too restrictive then you think?

i think thats the case as the diameter of the hole in the ring is about 1.7inches, but im just paranoid that if i take it out and overboost the turbos may blow etc.

I think it could be yeah. I know you usually have to do a bit of fettling with the ring to get the desired boost levels, but 6-7 psi is a lot of boost to be losing through the ring being to restrictive. I would've thought 2-3 psi max. :search:

I'm at home all day wednesday. But i guess Harborough's closer for you anyway?

think so yeah. whichever you like let me know times and all that as im free all day from uni then. ofcourse thtas if your not busy with the boyfriend etc.. :)

:D only joking. let me know if you have any time spare to check it out and ill drive down. think your less than 20 mins ish from here any how.

edit to say.. ahh she looks lovely :thumbs:

Don't wory too much about sudden boost hikes when you are mucking about with restrictor rings. Maybe enlarge the hole a bit at a time and see how you go.

As all cars are different a 1.2 bar restrictor ring for example maybe ok on one car but give more or less boost on another car.

I wouldnt say its a leak mate. I'm bpu, but when i had it on surrey rolling road near the beginning of the year it was only making 1.0 bar of boost. So you can either make the whole bigger in the ring or try removing it toally. There have been a few j-spec cars that havent needed a ring. The trouble with making it bigger is that as the weather gets colder it will make more boost which could be dangerous. Your safer having a lower base line of boost (perhaps for daily driving) and use a boost controller to up it to 1.2 bar when you want some fun. More than likely it will run 1.2 without the boost controller in very cold weather anyway.

Or, it is always possible you have a leak ;)

Christian