The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Few questions from a relative newbie

hiten55

Hi guys, amazing forum!! ive finally got rid of my old car and got just about enought money together to bag myself a tt. im gonna go and have a look at one on saturday hopefully. its a j-spec 93 rz with half leather and about 60 000 mile on the clock. overall it looks quite good so i should end up going from a pug 306 dt (i know - but i had to start somewhere) to a tt supra :)

few questions though:

1). Can i fit uk spec lights to the front and rear?

2). can i fit a HID conversion?

3). its an auto so is there any point, in terms of sound, in fitting a dump valve?

Thanks guys :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UK headlights you can fit, rear lights too, but i believe with both there could be loom issues

just to add, there's not really any point in fitting UK rear lights. either stick with the jspec lights and do the fog light modification or go for facelifted lights with the foglight modification.

There's no issues with fitting UK spec glass front headlamps. The only difference is the bulbs, you'll have to get uk spec ones to fit the holders.

The only question I'd be asking is 60k miles on a 13 year old car, even an import is exceptionally low. Have you got a link to the ad?

As said the glass headlights are a straight swap, the UK rear lights are a different combination which includes rear fog lights, so the wiring would need messing with.

The facelift rear lights are a straight swap on an early J-spec Supra and include all new bulbs and looms, see pics and prices here.

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=76750

ps.

Welcome to the club
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_grin.gif

Brill, thanks guys.

Class one - you have a pm :)

Nic, i saw your stuff for sale earlier - i will definately be in touch soon :)

im not too fussed about the rear lights to be honest, but the BOV will definately be fitted. along with a load of carbon fibre stuff, veilside wheel, and trd rear wing. gonna be an expensive few months i think.... lol

Erm, maybe i'm newbie if it comes about Supras, but who on earth would like to spend 11k on automatic gearbox in superb twin turbo kickass car? Go for 6 gear manual dude!

And another question:

This beautifull sound of released air made by BOV is only option for turbo cars? Or N/A somehow can get one too? :p If yes - how?

Erm, maybe i'm newbie if it comes about Supras, but who on earth would like to spend 11k on automatic gearbox in superb twin turbo kickass car? Go for 6 gear manual dude!

lol, i thought that at first, but from what i read on the forum im more geared towards the auto - not that id turn down a manual if i got the chance :)

lol, i thought that at first, but from what i read on the forum im more geared towards the auto - not that id turn down a manual if i got the chance :)

Don't belive them! They are biased, because they have to deal with Auto gearbox everyday and getting more and more mad, that they didn't invest in manual hehehe. So they will always opt to what they using to convince themself, that they made good deal :eyebrows:

I have always driven manual cars. I now have an auto TT and have for about 4 years now. Wouldn't go back. The Supra auto gearbox is superb.

I just don't understand they boy racer must have a manual to be a real car 'tude.

And another question:

This beautifull sound of released air made by BOV is only option for turbo cars? Or N/A somehow can get one too? :p If yes - how?

Who mentioned 11k? And as for your other question? :(

I have driven plenty of cars with manual and auto boxes and I can honestly say autos Supra and NOT like most auto cars.

Yes, agree,.. manuals soops are very sort after cars, and rightly so.

Having a MU gear box is awesome, but don't assume the auto is like every other auto car because IMHO its very impressive.

Welcome to the forum hiten55.

Happy hunting.

And another question:

Welcome to planet Earth

You need to get a clue really before you pile in and criticise something you VERY clearly do not understand :chav:

Don't belive them! They are biased, because they have to deal with Auto gearbox everyday and getting more and more mad, that they didn't invest in manual hehehe. So they will always opt to what they using to convince themself, that they made good deal :eyebrows:

im not sure if your joking or not....if your not, you clearly have no clue do you!!!

And another question:

Yup, you can get the turbo whistle for NA here on ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAKE-ANY-TOYOTA-SUPRA-MR2-CELICA-SOUND-TURBO-CHARGED_W0QQitemZ330046520576QQihZ014QQcategoryZ38786QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As for the comments on the gearboxes.... I'll choose not to comment because it really isn't worth it...

EDIT : Actually I will comment, for someone who seems to know a great deal about how bad the auto box is, for you then to ask if a blow off valve is possible on an NA is just laughable... Understand first what the parts of a car do before passing comments on the various models...

:rolleyes:

Thanks for reminding me why I don't usually read the newbie forum.

Yup, you can get the turbo whistle for NA here on ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAKE-ANY-TOYOTA-SUPRA-MR2-CELICA-SOUND-TURBO-CHARGED_W0QQitemZ330046520576QQihZ014QQcategoryZ38786QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As for the comments on the gearboxes.... I'll choose not to comment because it really isn't worth it...

EDIT : Actually I will comment, for someone who seems to know a great deal about how bad the auto box is, for you then to ask if a blow off valve is possible on an NA is just laughable... Understand first what the parts of a car do before passing comments on the various models...

Hey, I underlined, that I'm newbie if it comes about Supras, but i had occasion to drive quite a FEW cars with autoboxes and manual one and still I think that manual is better (I feel more control with sporty car) then autobox. If it comes about "various parts of car" my problem is to translate it to polish term, not to understand what they doing - my question actually should be: "If i can get same sound effect on N/A car, which turbo car get with BOV" - is it now more clear? Because you seems to know exactly, what I was asking about...

Edited: Now it should be clear...

Okay, Car 101...

Just because you have driven a car with an auto box doesn't mean you know what a supra is like... using your logic, something like a ferrari with a tiptronic system is crap? What people are saying is try it before you knock it, and yes I've driven both.

As far as BOV goes... a turbo system forces air into the intake manifold, when there is an excessive amount of air pressure when you close the throttle butterfly, it is released via the BOV. A non turbo engine SUCKS the air in, and sucks in as much as possible, as such there won't be any excess air to remove from the system. Trying to put a BOV on an NA won't do ANYTHING apart from making you look like a right pratt....

A BOV is used to help the engine, not make it sound nice..

A BOV is used to help the engine, not make it sound nice..

It is sad, that you try to make me look stupid, when I was actually asking about sound from begining. Yes I was reading about BOV using link to technician forum, yes i know, how it works, no - i do not want to put damn BOV to N/A car, yes I want to ask about sound made by releasing air. You knew exactly, that I was asking about sound, as you gave me direct link to device, which was making effect I asked about. Do I made myself clear now?

@Davo

To be grown up you do not have to play or be "pro". If you do not like newbie questions, do not look here any time of week, cuz I finish uni long time ago and have mon-fri time to write something here anyway. Besides - I thought that this subforum is to ask about any stupid thing i wish without seting newbies to "wanna be funny" pro's sarcasm?