The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is deemed "Rare"

Tee from China

Hi I have been looking through various websites looking at Supras and checking specs etc.

One thing I noticed is how many times sellers use the term 'rare' in their adverts. Have just looked at 200 Supra ads on AT and it seems that Imports are 'rare', UK manuals are 'rare', UK autos are 'rare' ,non- turbo, turbo aerotops all termed 'rare'.

This begs the question of "what actually IS rare"? To me a late model GZ is rare, Aerotops, VVTI or Tiptronic facelifts are rare, Manual UK's and 99's or 2001 models - yes? What's the answer????:( :search: :Pling:

mint - a sweet?:search: a place that makes money? :search: Feck these worms!!! :D

none of the above i'm afraid!

i think it basically is down to perception and what people perceive as being 'rare'.

also in the use of these advertisements specifically, you have to take into account how gullible the seller thinks the buyer will be.

i.e. will the buyer believe that it's rare just because the seller says so?

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words AntonymsAdj. 1. rare - not widely known; especially valued for its uncommonness; "a rare word"; "rare books"

uncommon - not common or ordinarily encountered; unusually great in amount or remarkable in character or kind; "uncommon birds"; "frost and floods are uncommon during these months"; "doing an uncommon amount of business"; "an uncommon liking for money"; "he owed his greatest debt to his mother's uncommon character and ability"

2. rare - recurring only at long intervals; "a rare appearance"; "total eclipses are rare events"

infrequent - not frequent; not occurring regularly or at short intervals; "infrequent outbursts of temper"

3. rare - not widely distributed; "rare herbs"; "rare patches of gree in the desert"

scarce - deficient in quantity or number compared with the demand; "fresh vegetables were scarce during the drought"

4. rare - marked by an uncommon quality; especially superlative or extreme of its kind; "what is so rare as a day in June"-J.R.Lowell; "a rare skill"; "an uncommon sense of humor"; "she was kind to an uncommon degree"

uncommon

extraordinary - beyond what is ordinary or usual; highly unusual or exceptional or remarkable; "extraordinary authority"; "an extraordinary achievement"; "her extraordinary beauty"; "enjoyed extraordinary popularity"; "an extraordinary capacity for work"; "an extraordinary session of the legislature"

5. rare - having low density; "rare gasses"; "lightheaded from the rarefied mountain air"

rarefied, rarified

thin - relatively thin in consistency or low in density; not viscous; "air is thin at high altitudes"; "a thin soup"; "skimmed milk is much thinner than whole milk"; "thin oil"

6. rare - (of meat) cooked a short time; still red inside; "rare roast beef"

raw - not treated with heat to prepare it for eating

Well, you can judge if a particular model is rare by how many are for sale at the usual outlets (e.g. Autotrader). If someone told me that non-turbo 5sp manual supras are rare, and I saw 8 for sale in the Autotrader within a sensible distance, I'd be inclined not to believe them. :)

If, however, someone said that UK 6sp manual supras are common and I couldn't find any for sale, I would again not believe them.

Thought rarity was link to supply not demand.

Supply is certainly linked to rarity, but it also has to have something to do with comarisons

i would say that an import facelift with leather seats and all options including UK Spec brakes is rare for a Supra

Although all Supras are rare compared to, say, Fiesta's

But we then come back to Supply as Fiestas are readily available due to high supply :search: