The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How loud is BPU?

silvershark44

Very strange question, but im interested in going BPU, but I really want to keep the stock look of the car so would be keeping the standard exhaust. If I have to double decat, is this going to make the exhaust really loud and droney? Dont get me wrong I do like that sort of thing normally, but for my car I want to remain very discrete. I love modified supras, but im deliberately keeping a stock look just to be a little different, and plus I believe that unless oyu have a lot of cash to throw at it you shouldnt bother.

So how discrete can BPU be? I dont mind noise so much on the outside of the vehicle, but I dont want to hear it droning on the motorway.

:search:

Very strange question, but im interested in going BPU, but I really want to keep the stock look of the car so would be keeping the standard exhaust. If I have to double decat, is this going to make the exhaust really loud and droney? Dont get me wrong I do like that sort of thing normally, but for my car I want to remain very discrete. I love modified supras, but im deliberately keeping a stock look just to be a little different, and plus I believe that unless oyu have a lot of cash to throw at it you shouldnt bother.

So how discrete can BPU be? I dont mind noise so much on the outside of the vehicle, but I dont want to hear it droning on the motorway.

:search:

might be worth getting a HKS silent exhaust to get the full benefit of BPU,dont know how loud these are though + you would lose the "stock look"

Think you'll only get 'scare the kids' loud when using stainless/titanium exhaust systems.

Not true, the RSR is mild steel but extremely loud.

The loudness has to do with the silencing method and number of silencers used. The HKS Silent, HKS dragger and other have a huge packed back box and secondary silence so are much quieter than those with the tiny backbox only pipes like the RSR

Guest gzaerojon

i have an Apexi N1 on the soop, after i went BPU it made almost no difference in sound :(

probably a good thing now as i live near a load of pensioners with an average age of 127

they don't like prodigy i found :innocent:

I just fitted a brand new super dragger last wednesday

A nice low rumble that perks up a bit when pushed

Stainless back box, 5" tip with 90 mm piping. the piping is mild steel.

The hks silent is in fact the hks hiper or another name the hks hi power. The silent should read "silenced", you have to run with a baffle in to achieve the quieter sound.

john

Dont think about going BPU without a free flowing exhaust, your just asking for trouble imo....its far to restrictive and the heat build up will be immense!

as others have said, if I rememer rightly, mongoose, tanabe and the HKS are your best bet for a quiter exhaust, also leave the baffle in for more silencing