The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New to the site. Would apprecaited your help/advise..

Guest Spawn

Hi all (my first post here),

I was just looking to get a few general opinions really.

Im 20 at the moment, 3 years no claims arriving in January. I have checked quotes for insurance purposes and all is well there, a tt is cheaper than what I am currently paying. (although I'm 20 please don't automatically think I must be a chav/boyracer, far from it).

I currently Drive an MR2 Rev 5 N/a (insurance was pricey as I was 19 at the time or purchase).

Now heres the options.. MR2 Turbo, or I make the switch to the Supra.

I've always loved the look of the Supras, I as I think about this more and more, I start to like them more and more.

Clearly the Supra is going to be very pricey compared to the MR2 Turbo.

Now what I was wondering, is how many of you use the Supra as a daily driver?

I live at home, and have a decent job. I drive about 6k miles a year. So in terms of petrol I am not to cocerned about the cost. Having looked around the site obviously servicing etc will eat a hole in my pocket..

If I go for the Supra.. as I say I am looking at using it as a daily driver - Is it worth me biding my time and treading very carefully no matter what the circumstances..

or

Do I go straight in, look for a decent motor (obviously taking time to shop around) and see how things go money wise etc.. (will I be shocked?)

Like I say, I have looked around, I realise the costs involved. Due to the fact I am currently living with the parents I have no concerns that I can not afford to run/maintain the car.. I only do little mileage anyway.

I was just wondering if anybody has been is a similar situation or can offer advice? would it be worth it etc?

Sorry for the long post :) Hopefully there will be many more to come :)

Any advise is greatly apprecaited.

Spawn™

Rob

Hiya welcome, youve come to the right place, i am in a similar situation to yourself, dont earn a particularly large sum of money but i live at home so am able to run the supra.:D

I use mine as a daily driver and can recommend it, i do about 8K miles a year and i think the supe is more reliable if used daily! It starts every time and drives like a car a lot younger than 11yrs old.:cool:

I think a supra is natural progression from mr2, lots of owners on here are previous mr2 owners.:search:

Id get yourself a TT for sure, dont count out the auto, it makes fantastic value compared to a 6spd, although the 6spd is probably the daddy!;)

As long as you find a good example of a supe you wont go wrong, find one with evidence of service history,oil changes etc getting one from a long term member on here can be a good option. Dont buy the 1st one you view have a look at a few as there are some dogs and some nicee ones!

Also the traders on here CJ and Jurgen have lots of happy customers !:cool:

OK, first of all :welcome:

I have an N/A, bought it two years ago and it's my daily driver.. I do about 30 miles a day and whatever on a weekend

I was the first UK owner (some people might say this is a bit risky as a lot of unknowns) but apart from the services, cam belt change and new tyres.. it's not given me anything else to worry about..

It as reliable as you like, pulls like a train and I didn't notice a massive expense with the petrol compared to the 1.6 Astra I have previous to this...

I would say do a good few test drives before you buy.. there are a few dogs around and don't be put off by the Auto box..

Hello and welcome O semolina in the pond type one:)

I envy you the oportunity of owning a Supra MkIV at your age.

Get a drive in a Supra and an MR2...rest is easy.

If you go Supra TT, first mod is decent tyres if they arent already, and take it easy for a while, especially if you splosh the dosh this winter.

Its a great dilema to be in, enjoy the (Im guessing it will be a Supra:)) hunt, look at and drive as many as you can as quality varies scarily, buy the best you can afford and better still make sure you get your membership sorted and get access to the members and traders cars for sale on here.

Hi mate, Welcome to the club

To be honest mate. I have had my n/a supe now for 2 months. and touch wood i have had no problems. Now me personally I'd go for looks rather than speed. Your only talking a couple of seconds at the most if you got a tt. The n/a can hold its own on the road and looks the dogs bollocks.

So if your talking money wise then you should go for the n/a. Ok who wouldn't mind having a tt than a n/a. But you have to ask your self "are you going to be racing it everywhere"

you could pick a decent tt up for about £8000-£9000

or you could go for the n/a for about £4000-£6000

its a lot of money if you ask me, not to mention you'd have a lot more to go wrong with a tt.

but that's just my opinion.;)

Hi Spawn.

After buying the first car I saw (well, I fell in love with it! And luckily it was near purrfect) here's my take on the best way of getting a top class car for good money:

Bide your time, do your research on here and read as much as you can about:

What Supra does what - See the guides on here; N/A Areotop, GZ etc,

What std parts you get that are optional extras on other models - Again see the guides,

Which colour????

Which gearbox to go for - The auto is very capable, the manual is indestructable & the 'drivers' choice & the VVTi ???

What modifications (if any) you want - Mods done badly are worse than a std car, but done properly when you buy the car will save £££

The styling you want - Which body kit/spoiler/carbon???

Turbo - J spec twins, hybrids or single??

brakes - Big UK spec or AP???

etc etc

Deciding all these factors now will define the exact car you want. You can then put a build list together for your ultimate car with the exact spec you want and decide on items you're ok to be flexible on. Then talk to the people on here that sell or import cars & ask their opinion. Tell them what you want & they'll try & find you that exact car.

In the mean time get a ride in as many Supes as you can. Look them over & talk to the owners. What were their pitfalls? What would they do again differently? Go along to meets etc

When you're ready splash the cash & buy your ultimate dream car....... You'll probably end up putting a bed in the garage so you can keep it warm at night after all that ;) :D

Welcome to the best Supra online resource :)

Thanks for the replies, much apprecaited. If anyone else has a view please keep posting!

I will read the guides for sure! Would be silly not to. Managed to learn about the MR2 so hopefully I will get on ok. In not the most mechanically minded guy.. but I get along ok.

After buying my mr2.. I had a blast in a tubby with another member, and from that moment on I wanted the MR2 Turbo. I dont want to get an N/a and make the same mistake again, therefore its definately a TT that I'm after.

Also prefer manual however I would not rule out Auto before I've given it ago!

Dazla - No I will not be racing around, I may be young but fully respect rear wheel drive cars.

I envy you the oportunity of owning a Supra MkIV at your age.
Well that makes me smile :)

I suppose at the end of the day if I've had the car a year and costs are high.. I would simply sell again, so I am not worrying about costs at all now. The plus points of living at home :)

I will read the manuals - But something you may be able to help with before hand... Would anyone be so kind to give a quick break down of the Turbo's?

Some1 has just pm'd me saying they have a single turbo? I never realised it was that easy to add a turbo, something I am seeing alot of whilst reading this forum? Any advise would be great :)

Keep your views coming!

Cheers :)

(off to check out the next meet near me so someone can show me what all the fuss is about)

There is quite a few NA single turbo conversions now and also TT single conversions, ie they take out the twin tubbys and stick in a big single.

I think you'll be looking at the stock TT purely for insurance reasons, even the UK TT would be cheap on insurance compared to jspec equivalent!

Hi Welcome

I have a NA and used to use it as my daily driver last year, great car bullet proof engine, smooth at low speeds, a tiger and high..not as fast a turbo but still very quick..Its great fun, the car has a BIG presense on the road, you get alot of respect from other drivers...

It might be worth getting a twin turbo and learning to control the power you would get from that, then slowly move up...

Yeah for insurance reasons it can't really be modded in any great way. Just done a quote and its £400 cheaper than I payed for the MR2 (at 19 with 2 years ncb).

£400 cheaper though... im happy :D :)

I believe it was yes.

Are you going to give me bad news now or something? :p

No there is non if you are going for a Uk spec but a j-spec TT will be about 4-600 pound dearer to insure for yourself i would imagine.

Uk specs are rare you see so most go for the J-spec!

No there is non if you are going for a Uk spec but a j-spec TT will be about 4-600 pound dearer to insure for yourself i would imagine.

Uk specs are rare you see so most go for the J-spec!

Ah right thnx for the advise.

Going to start reading up on all the different types shortly :)

Ah right thnx for the advise.

Going to start reading up on all the different types shortly :)

yeh there is a good thread in FAQ.

Basically J-specs come in NA and TT form in both manual and auto

Aerotops only come in Auto.

J-specs where facelifted in 1996

Uk specs come in TT only, auto and manual

No NA or aerotop Uk's!

Uk's finished production in 95 i think!