The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension advice / assistance

Pixelfill

Right guys it would seem I have a bit of an issue with my suspension at present. The rear drivers wheel arch is getting far too intimate with my rear wheel. On the passenger side I can happily slide my hand in, on the drivers side there is very little space, and when cornering moderately the tyre and arch are making contact.

As I have a nice new Eagle F1 on that corner I want to sort this as soon as. The problem is I have no idea what might be wrong, My first thought is the damper, but could it be anything else, (drop link, arms, spring). What can I do to confirm what the probable cause is. would somewhere like Kwiksh*t :scare: be able to identify the fault.

I'd been hearing a very faint metallic rubbing noise (think the original Cylons' eyes from Battlestar Galactica here and you've got the same sort of sound) which had got progressively louder over the last week or two. This seemed to be coming from the rear of the car - so I suspect this was the cause. Unfortunately as I've been working stupid hours over the last month I haven't had chance to get it in anywhere.

As I understand it the car has the original KYB (I think) suspension, so it's getting a little long in the tooth it's coming up for 11 years old. Therefore if I'm changing one corner obviously I'll be changing all four.

Can anyone recommend a decent set up. I'm happy with the current ride height, so don't want to drop too low (I've got a Nur Spec and there are a number of speed bumps round by me who already want to get acquainted. Also the road surface around here isn't fantastic so I don't want to go too stiff (oo err). I'm not looking to spend stupid amounts of money, but likewise don't want to buy budget and regret it in the short term.

Help guys - much appreciated

Mike

As I understand it the car has the original KYB (I think) suspension, so it's getting a little long in the tooth it's coming up for 11 years old. Therefore if I'm changing one corner obviously I'll be changing all four.

Can anyone recommend a decent set up. I'm happy with the current ride height, so don't want to drop too low (I've got a Nur Spec and there are a number of speed bumps round by me who already want to get acquainted. Also the road surface around here isn't fantastic so I don't want to go too stiff (oo err). I'm not looking to spend stupid amounts of money, but likewise don't want to buy budget and regret it in the short term.

KYB suspension was never fitted as standard.

I'd recommend a set of new Bilstein dampers all round and a set of standard springs from the late model VVTi.

Unfortunately Im in Leeds visiting family at the moment, and only really noticed the problem when I arrived late last night. Otherwise I might have given Chris a call and had a quick trip down. If I was at home I would take the wheel off and have a look, but I don't fancy trying with the "Emergency" jack.

Am I going to be okay driving the car, I'm getting thin shavings of rubber off the tyre from the wheel arch interference, or should I try and get recovered?

I still have stock suspension, but the dampers aren't Bilsteins so they are whatever the other flavour is. Out of interest how much would the Bilstein / VVTI Spring combination set me back.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

Mike

Sorry to hear this Mike..

I'm getting thin shavings of rubber off the tyre from the wheel arch interference, or should I try and get recovered?

I think I would get recovered... sounds like it could become a world if hurt if the tyre goes.. I wouldn't risk it.

When I got mine I had a 'harder than average' ride but put it down to me not really knowing the car.. after the second service the guy at the garage told me the shocks were going.. he said one was 'damp' and the other was 'wet'.. which apparently means the fluid is leaking from them.. I replaced fronts first (they were quite bad) and rears later on and it feels like a new car.. I think each set was about £350 inc labour.. totally stock ones..

Hope you get it sorted soon...

I still have stock suspension, but the dampers aren't Bilsteins so they are whatever the other flavour is. Out of interest how much would the Bilstein / VVTI Spring combination set me back.

Hi Mike

A set of Bilstein dampers would be £385 including postage to your door. I'll need to check on the price of the springs, I'd guess around £150 though.

cheers