The mkiv Supra Owners Club

running costs

pdg26

guys,

i'm 100% going to buy a Supra at some point...though now I realise it may not be for a good while. Am trying to save up to buy a house... have only just started saving, and whilst realistically I could purchase a Supra this time next year (NA at least) - whether I could afford to run one is another matter entirely. How much does it cost to fill up the fuel tank, just out of interest? my current Corolla costs me up to £35 for a full tank :) and presumably it does about 40 mpg (though prob. less the way I drive it, lol). If I'm honest, I'd very much prefer to buy a Supra than a house (far more exciting / fun in my opinion), but then there's only so long you can put off purchasing your first property also. I wish I was earning lots of cash that would allow me to do both, but it's not the reality. Supra will have to wait a few years sadly (or rather, until my corolla eventually conks out - but i reckon this thing could make 200k? she's currently hit the 94k mark and never had a problem in the year i've owned her. Jap parts eh ;) i'm very envious of you guys who can afford to run (stock, let alone modifications) supes, as well as pay the mortgage

Just had a disagreement with my brother in law, he reckons i'd be daft to get a Supe because the tax is going to go up to a grand a year on large engine cars and then I won't be able to sell the thing.

This from a dude in a Renault Kangoo!!!

What do you think?:wtf:

£55/60 to fill the tank, lasts about 250 miles.

Bit more than that innit Pete? 70 Ltr tank remember and SUL is like 95p/Ltr round here.

my brother in law, he reckons

the tax is going to go up to a grand a year on large engine cars

It might be in the future, who knows? They'll be a lot of people in the same boat though. At the mo it's about £170 to tax a Supra.

Just had a disagreement with my brother in law, he reckons i'd be daft to get a Supe because the tax is going to go up to a grand a year on large engine cars

£1000 per year ? I think that is unlikely. Car companies would loose a fortune as nobody couuld afford to run their cars. The government would loose out - as no-one would be paying £55-£60 at the fuel pumps. Possible unemployment, as fuel consumtion would be less - that may have a knock on effect .. so fuel tankers wouldn't need to be so frequent with their deliveries.

Of course, congestion on the M25 would likely be cut in half. ;)

£1000 per year ? I think that is unlikely. Car companies would loose a fortune as nobody couuld afford to run their cars. The government would loose out - as no-one would be paying £55-£60 at the fuel pumps. Possible unemployment, as fuel consumtion would be less - that may have a knock on effect .. so fuel tankers wouldn't need to be so frequent with their deliveries.

Of course, congestion on the M25 would likely be cut in half. ;)

wow clarkey ever thought of running for the chancelors job;)

Guest Nicholas
guys,

i'm 100% going to buy a Supra at some point...though now I realise it may not be for a good while. Am trying to save up to buy a house... have only just started saving, and whilst realistically I could purchase a Supra this time next year (NA at least) - whether I could afford to run one is another matter entirely. How much does it cost to fill up the fuel tank, just out of interest? my current Corolla costs me up to £35 for a full tank :) and presumably it does about 40 mpg (though prob. less the way I drive it, lol). If I'm honest, I'd very much prefer to buy a Supra than a house (far more exciting / fun in my opinion), but then there's only so long you can put off purchasing your first property also. I wish I was earning lots of cash that would allow me to do both, but it's not the reality. Supra will have to wait a few years sadly (or rather, until my corolla eventually conks out - but i reckon this thing could make 200k? she's currently hit the 94k mark and never had a problem in the year i've owned her. Jap parts eh ;) i'm very envious of you guys who can afford to run (stock, let alone modifications) supes, as well as pay the mortgage

Hi Matey,

Don't mean to offend but if you have to ask how much running costs are you can't afford the car :) save some money up for a house would be a much better option IMO.

Once you have a house then buy a supra :)

Nick.

Hi Matey,

Don't mean to offend but if you have to ask how much running costs are you can't afford the car :) save some money up for a house would be a much better option IMO.

Nick.

Not that easy though is it, once you get a house all other shit comes out of the woodwork, bills, council tax, repairs etc.

Better to get a Supe now and get it out of your system. You could be like me at 32, 2 and a half kids, having a huge mortgage and looking at Supes every day and drooling. My wife says I should get one, I don't think she realises what running costs are involved.

Nevermind she's said it now!!

H.:)

Hi Matey,

Nick.

Agreed.

I presume most of you guys with supes (esp. those who modify their cars extensively) either have well-paid jobs or very wealthy parents / surplus of income. sadly i have neither; hence the house is the obvious priority.

Oly, is that with UL or SUL fuel.?

I take it it lasts for ages if you don't go out in it.!!!:D

H.

It evaporates if you don't drive it, but drinks it if you do. Its a lose lose situation, so best to drive it as fast and use it as soon as possible ;) :D

Guest Nicholas
Agreed.

I presume most of you guys with supes (esp. those who modify their cars extensively) either have well-paid jobs or very wealthy parents / surplus of income. sadly i have neither; hence the house is the obvious priority.

I earn a reasonable amount from my job and also run my own business, I did the house buying early this year and have made more on my house in 12 months than I could ever save over the same period.

I'd still say house, if you buy a supra in say 2 years time you might never be able to afford a house due to the stupid prices.

Houses don't depreciate Car's do!

IMO :)

Nick.

Hi Matey,

Nick.

have to agree with nick on this one . you need to worry more about how much the house is going to cost to maintain rather than mpg on the car. enjoy the feeling of independance owning your own home gives you and the time for fast cars will come. best of luck

Nah get the car keep it for a couple of years then go for the house :tempted:

In all seriousness running costs are not too bad really. Depending on insurance and how you drive the car.

Petrol is going to be your biggest problem (providing you dont buy a pup)

Mine is a daily runner for the last 4 years.

From memory tyres lasted around 8 - 12 k if you have aftermarket wheels then they aren't cheap to replace. (dont be tempted by budget tyres)

Have a look in the downlaods section for a service schedule then budget yourself based on that.

have to agree with nick on this one . you need to worry more about how much the house is going to cost to maintain rather than mpg on the car. enjoy the feeling of independance owning your own home gives you and the time for fast cars will come. best of luck

I also agree - and as you get a bit older / experienced in your job, your disposable income should increase and things like cars become more affordable. Houses don't because in this country, they seem to increase in price faster than most payrises.

I bought my first house when I was 21. I'm a bit older now - and have two houses, the one I live in and that first one. I'd like to say it's 'cos I'm a financial wizard and recognised the investment potential with property - but really it's because I was too lazy to sell it when I moved. And now, I can afford a reasonable selection of nice cars.