The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FMIC or SMIC

Guest mk47

ive been looking through ebay and as my smic is nackered now was thinking of replacing it with this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250044887207&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

can anyone advise on wether that would be a good investment or would it be better to go for a smic replacement (not from toyota)

obviously the fmic looks better (all in my opinion) but from the details there what would you say is it worth getting that even though its quite cheap or better to go for a smic replacement?

they use the XS power intercoolers, which i believe sombody on here is using on a 900hp application so i shouldnt see a problem which ever way you go, obvioulsy a SMIC wont hold 900 hp but then again the ducting is better for one, im faced with the same dilema atm. and at that price, its just even harder.

they use the XS power intercoolers, which i believe sombody on here is using on a 900hp application so i shouldnt see a problem which ever way you go, obvioulsy a SMIC wont hold 900 hp but then again the ducting is better for one, im faced with the same dilema atm. and at that price, its just even harder.

Are you sure? I would not be using one of those on a 900hp street Supra.

The ebay FMIC's are made in China just over the border from me, they are Hybrid ones I think. They have been discussed a lot before, yes they are cheap, but they are cheap for a reason ie. cheap less efficient core. The end tank design is also very shallow, which will effect the flow over the core. There are also issues with the hard pipes fouling the stock airbox, meaning a pod induction kit will need to be fitted (or possibly you can modify the airbox).

I would personally spend a bit more and go for an OEM SMIC, or a GReddy Type M FMIC.

I have one of these, but an inch thicker. It fitted great with nothing needing relocating and just squeezed under the front bumper (but mine is made for a FMIC I think).

I hung it from the front rad support brace (I think that's what it is) with 2 coach bolts and all the pipework connected without any problem. I am using 3" silicon all round though and no hard pipe kit, so that would make squeezing all the pipes in easier.

Looks like a bargain kit TBH. As long as you have space between your rad and the front grill (break the tape measure out & plan for 4" infront of the rad face) then you should be fine.

Edit - I've just seen your garage pics. I think that the standard front bumper may not fit it all in. On mine the bottom mounting lugs just protrude below the undershield (been meaning to cut & grind them off). You'll need to do some measuring or find someone that's fitted one in a standard nosecone.

Ive got the same kit and works fine. Running 450 Bhp with no probs at all. It made a very noticeable difference to my stock SMIC (although to be fair it was shagged). With the old one there was a hesitancy with the turbo on full spool, it just wasnt pulling like it should. With the FMIC on it now pulls like a train. I cant imagine that the HKS or Greddy ones will make a difference worth the extra £200-300.

How can this FMIC that is the same size as the branded FMIC, not need poer steering lines etc. sounds rubbish.

If all you want is better induction temps for a low powered car, these will do. The more expensive ones are worth the extra when you want serious power as the are designed with big power requirements in mind, they are also tried and tested on some of the fastest MKIV on the road / track. I think you would get better cooling of the intake charge with a properly ducted SMIC. Chris Wilson made uprated ones. I have a Greddy uprated SMIC and it is very efficient.

If you are not looking to go single, stick with the side mount.

Miami gt does these, for less than £300, and it did the job perfect according to a fellow member who fitted one.

The side mount cooler is ducted perfectly by toyota, and the rotating wheel behind it provides a suction effect basically sucking more air through the cooler.

You will only come close to this with a properly ducted front mount, what most people fail to do when putting a front mount in is block up any easy air paths around the cooler. So when the air comes in the front of the bumper, it takes the easy route and goes around the intercooler. You dont get this with the standard side mount position, a decent side mount in there will provide adequate cooling for up to 500bhp i would've thought.

I contemplated this but went for a Greddy. I emailed Flat4online who also advertised on ebay.com, not just .co.uk, and they said they have many 1000bhp Supras running on these front mounts.

As Nic said, I'd personally prefer a little more piece of mind from a Greddy or the like for £200 more, even if it is quite a bit more. Just provides that added reassurance I suppose as these have been continuously tried and tested and have had many a review.

Cores are visibly much better. However, if you want the best I/C in the business, but for extra dough, pick up Chris Wilsons last uprated SMIC.

Good luck. ;)

Greg