The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looks or performance - which matters to you *most*?

SteveR

Which is most important to you, if you had to choose just one aspect of your Supra?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Which is most important to you, if you had to choose just one aspect of your Supra?

I was wondering after reading a few threads recently, whether looks :cool: or handling :eyebrows: are more important to Supra owners. Note that I'm not talking about out-and-out performance (e.g. going BPU/single turbo/whatever) when I say handling.

Personally speaking, I like to drive my car - for example after just one visit the Nurburgring is in my blood now, and although I think my Supe would benefit in the looks department from some different alloys for example, the most important thing to me is how my car handles. It's a blimin' gorgeous :love: car stock IMHO, so although it can arguably be made to look better, I wouldn't do that at the expense of its handling (even though I admit I may never test that to it's full).

e.g. I wouldn't fit huge wheels to mine as they'd lose grip under certain conditions compared to smaller ones, I wouldn't fit alloys that require spacers - however small - as (from what I understand) that impacts handling dynamics, I wouldn't lower the car beyond an expert's opinion of what would affect handling... etc.

Some people on here are the complete opposite and want it to look the dogs danglies ahead of else, e.g. compromising the handling slightly by rolling on 19"s is no biggie to them.

I totally understand both POVs (and I also know that it is possible to do both to a degree) but if it came down to it, which aspect is the most important to you?

NB: I'm making the poll one-option-only as I think it would be interesting to see which is the higher priority amongst owners. :confused:

Performance, every time. I've given up trying to make the car look nice, it only ever gets cleaned for meets :D

Just to clarify;

Looks - I mean more like bodykits / bling / alloys / and the like...

Handling - I'm excluding performance mods and talking specifically about roadholding / feedback / 'controlability' / similar aspects that you affect by altering things like suspension / ride height / wheel sizes / etc.

I'm sure that both count for all of us, but which matters most?

You dont drive a supra just for its handling, surely you drive it for the way it looks too.

So if there was an option for BOTH, I would have voted for that.

Mind you, always function over form...so if the suspension needs doing / brakes, etc then they take priority than shall we say a new bumper or a ridiculously large rear spoiler. :)

You dont drive a supra just for its handling, surely you drive it for the way it looks too.

Just to clarify

I'm sure that both count for all of us, but which matters most?

So if there was an option for BOTH, I would have voted for that.

NB: I'm making the poll one-option-only as I think it would be interesting to see which is the higher priority amongst owners. :confused:

;)

After just coming from an extensively modified MR2 Turbo, that broke given any opportunity, I'm currently doing my Sup up just for the looks, I like the reliability that comes with a standard Supra.

No doubt the first time I get passed by a chav in his Scooby I'll be going single as quickly as possible though :D

Two of the nicest and eye opening cars of their era, to drive, were the first VW Golf GTI's and the early Alfa Sud Sprints, neither would win any beauty contest, both, at their time, and still, today, handled magnificently. For me a car can look like a pig if it gives me the buzz behind the wheel. Anonymity, reliability and performance are at the top of my agenda for a road car that does a few track days. For a pure road car I have driven Volvos for 20 or more years... ;)

Two of the nicest and eye opening cars of their era, to drive, were the first VW Golf GTI's and the early Alfa Sud Sprints,

Agreed, I had an original 1.6 Gti, and just loved belting round the lanes in it. Alfa's too, the little 1.5 with twin carbs is a cracking little engine. Also owned the last of the RWD alfas, a 2.0 twin spark 75 Limited Edition, brilliant !

Anyway, I digress :innocent: Performance, everytime. My MR2 turbo being case in point. Yes it's had a slightly bright respray, but no bodykits etc. Otherwise it's ALL performance mods :cool:

Pretty much everything I've done to the trial supra has been performance stuff.

Oh, must pop along to CW at some point, need to improve its handling ;)

Muffleman: I think my memory is failing me, the Alfa Sud Sprint was the pretty fastback one, wasn't it? I think the ones I recsll were the Sud Ti's, as you say, the twin carb ones. Rusted faster than you coulf put petrol in, but a superbly dynamic chassis (for FWD.... :)) and a great engine and transmission. At the time all we had to compare them with, as UK made cars, were the dire offerings from BL.

Performance and handling wins hands down.... I'm not proud ;)

My first car was a Sh*t brown (anti-theft brown I called it) Mini with a 1048 engine with 1275GT head, 4 speed dog box, rear beam axle, metro turbo brakes & spax coil overs all round.

Looked like a pile of cr*p but christ it handled well :D