The mkiv Supra Owners Club

18yrs old insurance

gaz1

You could do that but but it's not ideal.

First of all you'd have to double check your son is definitely insured to drive other cars with his policy. Only some fully comp policies offer this and it tends to be older people that get those policies.

Also, if he does have that kind of policy he's probably only insured to drive another car third party as an emergency. Again that needs to be double checked.

My mate got his mom to insure his impreza in her name and he insured her Rover in his. He then drove round for a whole year in his Impreza third party under this rule.

when i picked my car up i couldnt get a days insurance to drive the car home. minimum was 6 months for under 25. and even then i could get any insurance till i was 21.

ended up with a mate of mine asking his existing insurance to do it for one day, they did for about a tenner. he was 28 though.

if i insure it under me for a weekend will he be covered to drive it under his own car insurance, as in third party as i can drive other peoples if insured by someone else

think you have to over 21 or something for that "drive other cars third party" thing to come into play

I really can't understand insurance quotes

Try Elephant mate, I'm 24 but pay 800 fully comp for my tt :)

They wanted £1200 for me 24, 5 yncb. I had a quote from bell £800 rang elephant back up and they said there is no way they can match that price. The car is kept in the Garage and i only do 10,000 miles a year!

If your BOTH fully comp on your OWN cars... Then he CAN drive it but only as 3rd party, so if he crashes it your fooked. Thats what my local bobby said to me anyways.

And as prices go. I was quoted (using http://www.confused.com/ ) £1097.32 as my dad main driver (full NCB) and me as an additional. But that was set at 7000 miles a year as I drive my works van everywhere really :D I'm 21, my dads 52 - That was on a '96 Supra TT.

If your BOTH fully comp on your OWN cars... Then he CAN drive it but only as 3rd party, so if he crashes it your fooked. Thats what my local bobby said to me anyways.

And as prices go. I was quoted (using http://www.confused.com/ ) £1097.32 as my dad main driver (full NCB) and me as an additional. But that was set at 7000 miles a year as I drive my works van everywhere really :D I'm 21, my dads 52 - That was on a '96 Supra TT.

which insurance company was that actually with? I might do that next renewal

Thats not specifically true, you're insurance certificate has to state that you are covered 3rd party on other cars not in the policy holder name. many insurers will have an age limit on this feature, as mine does, so i cannot do this till im 25, and then id would cost me a little bit extra on my premiums.

I've never had a crash to test it out. I know on my previous insurance certificate's it has said about this 'feature' but never said anything about ages. All it ever basically said was that

"You have to have full permission from the legal Insurer and legal Owner of the vehicle. A hand-written letter stating you had permission (from the legal Insurer/Owner) would need to be declared, should there be an accident".

Never anything about age :( Best thing to do is ring your insurance co up and ask them. I do have to admit my local bobby aint the brightest of sparks :eyebrows:

im been with various insurers over the past 8 years of owning my own cars few years ago all insurers came out that they will not cover under 25s to drive other cars 3rd party so if folk say there covered there talking crap check the small print in the certificate