The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alarm System Thatcham 1

Glosphil

Buy any CAT1 alarm/imb (not to cheap as you want it to be reliable), mines is laserline and happy so far cause no ones stolen it so it must work?

TBH TOAD, Clifford (clifford you are in a way paying for the name as TOAD does virtually the same as metioned above), Laserline etc it does not matter whats on your car if you car is wanted they wwill steal it regardless of whats on it.

Both myself and my brother (Integra Type R) have full Cliffords fitted, i would rather pay the extra for the clifford and ensure it works (2 friends of mine, one with an MR2 and a Laserline the other with a cosworth with a Toad both get random alarm activations and it pisses them off!)

Just my opinion thats all (cant comment on the other 2 personally as the clifford is my first alarm equipped car!)

I've access to, and dealt with, pretty much every alarm in the UK.

My personal preference would be Clifford. I like the features you can only get with the Cliffords, like BlackJax and programmable siren tones and easy set up Proximity sensor.

But I would also recommend Toad very highly, (and Stirling which is the same company ;) ), I'd also say that Laserline, Sigma and Autowatch are very reliable, and worth considering.

As for where to get it done. You're choice entirely, but I certainly DON'T recommend mobile 'installers' like Gap. I've rectified far too many man-in-van, "but it was cheap", type installations. Go to a reputable car security dealer. If something goes wrong, you can simply take it back to the dealer. They'll always be in the same place ;)

Of course, I should be recommending Sextons in Gloucester. If you want to get there, let me know as I may be able to get you a better deal. :)

I've access to, and dealt with, pretty much every alarm in the UK.

My personal preference would be Clifford. I like the features you can only get with the Cliffords, like BlackJax and programmable siren tones and easy set up Proximity sensor.

But I would also recommend Toad very highly, (and Stirling which is the same company ;) ), I'd also say that Laserline, Sigma and Autowatch are very reliable, and worth considering.

As for where to get it done. You're choice entirely, but I certainly DON'T recommend mobile 'installers' like Gap. I've rectified far too many man-in-van, "but it was cheap", type installations. Go to a reputable car security dealer. If something goes wrong, you can simply take it back to the dealer. They'll always be in the same place ;)

Of course, I should be recommending Sextons in Gloucester. If you want to get there, let me know as I may be able to get you a better deal. :)

Cheers. Just called sextons in Glos, they quote the following.

£300 Toad Ai606

£430 - Clifford Concept 650.

He recommends the Clifford as I have a turbo timer. Names Tony, if you can get me a better deal, all the better :) Cheers

I'm sure it's fine Thorin. Your address hasn't been disclosed so you're safe at the moment! ;)

I believe I have a piece of crap CODE alarm fitted, which has started playing up. I've looked at Clifford Concepts and am tempted.

Also, at the MPH show there was a package deal on offer for a Predator Alarm systems with all the trimmings it seemed of a Clifford. Anyone heard of them, Matt?

How much outlay are you typically looking at for fitment anyway?

Thanks,

Greg

Cheers. Just called sextons in Glos, they quote the following.

£300 Toad Ai606

£430 - Clifford Concept 650.

He recommends the Clifford as I have a turbo timer. Names Tony, if you can get me a better deal, all the better :) Cheers

Supplied and fitted I take it? :)

My fitment was £160 - mobile company

As for where to get it done. You're choice entirely, but I certainly DON'T recommend mobile 'installers'. I've rectified far too many man-in-van, "but it was cheap", type installations. Go to a reputable car security dealer. If something goes wrong, you can simply take it back to the dealer. They'll always be in the same place

Oh dear

Good luck :p

I'm sure it's fine Thorin. Your address hasn't been disclosed so you're safe at the moment! ;)

I believe I have a piece of crap CODE alarm fitted, which has started playing up. I've looked at Clifford Concepts and am tempted.

Also, at the MPH show there was a package deal on offer for a Predator Alarm systems with all the trimmings it seemed of a Clifford. Anyone heard of them, Matt?

How much outlay are you typically looking at for fitment anyway?

Thanks,

Greg

I know of Predator, but I wouldn't sell them personally. Yes, they do seem to be feature packed, but they are not known for being the most reliable.

To put it another way... Back in 1998, there was a big shake up of all the alarm manufacturers when Thatcham changed/increased their testing for reliablity and stability. Many of the cheapo alarms lost their accreditation that year as they simply couldn't produce a reliable system. Predator was one of them. ;)

To show how much they're trying to jump on the Clifford bandwagon, and make it look like they're actually good; Clifford are owned and distributed by a company called Directed Electronics. Predator are distributed in the UK by a company called DE Trade sales.... See what they're trying to do there? :innocent: