The mkiv Supra Owners Club

this car looks awesome

pdg26

Hi guys,

Am new to all this; been into Jap cars for about a year now ever since a mate told me how cheap you could get them for, and following 'fast and the furious' i was hooked! at first i wanted an Evo, then an Impreza, but now am focussed on the Supra because, simply put, it looks much better than either of them. I couldn't put the '4wd' aspect out of my head, but surely rear wheel drive beats front wheel, and i've heard Supras handle very well anyhow? not sure i trust myself with the TT model, and 220bhp NA sounds more than enough for me at this stage! will be looking to buy one hopefully next summer, any tips or advice would be appreciated! would quite like one in a colour that turns heads, e.g. yellow (though to be honest the car looks awesome in any colour). Bye for now and good to be on board! The guide to the Supras I've just read was incredibly useful.

Welcome to the club.

Have a read through the FAQ in tech section and also the search function, these will give you a good basis knowledge of the Supra.

See here: http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Anything else you cannot find then ask away, as there is a huge knowledge base here.

Although the price of used Supras now makes them more accessible, the price of maintenance and parts still needs to be carefully considered. These were expensive cars when new, parts and quality service costs to maintain them in good condition can be expensive.

cheers

Thanks Nic!

You're certainly right about the expense issues; can you give me some advice on how much it might cost to maintain a Supra on average each year? Sorry if it sounds an impossible question. Prob wouldn't be covering more than 7k. No idea how often they should be serviced, or what should be changed when, etc - any resource bases on this anywhere?

Also, insurance is obviously a concern; I'm 26 years old, just did a search on direct line, 3 yrs no claims - quoted £1500 for a 96 model, both NA and TT! Surely there's cheaper firms out there...

Thanks Nic!

You're certainly right about the expense issues; can you give me some advice on how much it might cost to maintain a Supra on average each year? Sorry if it sounds an impossible question. Prob wouldn't be covering more than 7k. No idea how often they should be serviced, or what should be changed when, etc - any resource bases on this anywhere?

Also, insurance is obviously a concern; I'm 26 years old, just did a search on direct line, 3 yrs no claims - quoted £1500 for a 96 model, both NA and TT! Surely there's cheaper firms out there...

You should be well cheaper than that for insurance, try sky, lancaster,a-plan!

Petrol aint too bad at the moment! It will cost you about 1600 quid a year assuming you drive it fairly spirited around 20mpg at 92p per litre for 7K miles!

Oil change every 9000 on a NA and service every year id say! 400quid id say for servicing, depends whether you need belts etc doing. http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=56684

PS, get a TT!!:D

Thanks for that guys, and to Rayman for the tips on running costs. Could realistically buy in a year's time, looking to perhaps spend £6k or so? am I right in thinking could get a 50k mileage example (NA) for around that price?

Would love a TT but perhaps a bit too dear...do you feel a big difference compared with the NA? Is there any turbo lag? We're comparing 225 horses with 325 right? Sounds terrifying! I currently own a Toyota Corolla, 1996, 1.3 that I thrash...

try admiral for insurance mate.

Im a year younger than you, and was paying £360 on a twin turbo uk spec, fully comp protected.

Obviously when i come to reinsure it as a single i may have some fun ;)

£360? OMG! direct line quoted me £1500 (online quote). how many no claims did you have? my quote was based on 3 yrs no claims, for both NA and TT - shocking. mind you, UK cars are cheaper to insure right?

This time next year you will probably be able to get a facelift 6spd TT the way prices are heading:d There is a hell of a lot of difference between a TT and an n/a

you mean in terms of power output? how do they feel in terms of the ride? i guess you're talking about 100bhp extra, right? that is a lot i guess!

try admiral for insurance mate.

Im a year younger than you, and was paying £360 on a twin turbo uk spec, fully comp protected.

Obviously when i come to reinsure it as a single i may have some fun ;)

how many no claims did you have mate? i tried admiral just now for an online quote, their '10 month accelerator' scheme, whatever that is, for a UK TT, 3 yrs no claims, was £600 or so.

I've been some calculations today and for my TT, taking account of servicing, tyres, road tax, Insurance (only £500), some Mods, some repairs and depreciation. If I sell mine in March (having owned it for 3 years) it will have cost me £350 per month. Plus Petrol @ £150 = £500 per month x 12 months = £6k per year. These cars are not cheap!!

and thats with only a few sensible BPU type mods.

that's a lot of money...i'm looking to buy one for around the price you spend a year on yours!

not particularly interested in mods etc, other than perhaps a nice set of alloys, exhaust (though let's face it, many of the ones for sale already have these fitted). i'd be looking to take care of the car of course - but would i really need to spend 6K?!

cool.

all you guys are trying to twist my arm to go for the TT - lol!!

anyone who has driven both, what's the main difference? do the engines sound similar? the NA is 225 standard, what is the TT - 320 or so? i've seen a lot of them quoted 380, though presumably this isn't standard?!

anyone who can find a cheap quote for 3yrs no claims for a J-Spec (either NA or TT), let me know.

I'm with Sky (club insurer) 34 years old and 4 years no claims. I don't spend a lot compared to most people on here, just basic upkeep and a few bits and pieces here and there.

Example: My Air Con & Water pump went this year and cost £1150 to repair. You need to be able to pay out that sort of money without having to save for a few months!!

cool.

all you guys are trying to twist my arm to go for the TT - lol!!

anyone who has driven both, what's the main difference? do the engines sound similar? the NA is 225 standard, what is the TT - 320 or so? i've seen a lot of them quoted 380, though presumably this isn't standard?!

anyone who can find a cheap quote for 3yrs no claims for a J-Spec (either NA or TT), let me know.

I've driven both - although it was about 7 years ago that I owned the TT. What's the main difference? Let me put it this way :

When I had the TT it was my only car. I loved it - and in fact it was the first car I'd ever had any interest in (I used to use bikes all the time). I sold it because the (ex) girlfriend didn't like driving it.

I didn't want a TT this time, because I am happy with my 911 as a fun weekend car and having a TT and a 911 seemed pointless. I bought NA and am entirely happy that's what I did. But - if I didn't have the 911, and the Supra was my only car (or my fun car) I would definitely buy a TT and wouldn't have considered NA.

I guess it comes down to : if you want a TT, an NA will never be enough. If you want a Supra, NA makes quite enough power to be fun.

in terms of the Air Con going - does that mean the heater doesn't work at all, or that it will just not blow arctic air?

also - how crucial is the water pump? i know very little about cars compared to some people, do forgive me. i just want to know realistically - and i wouldn't be covering more than 7,000 miles a year - how much maintenance would cost (and fuel) - ?

I've driven both - although it was about 7 years ago that I owned the TT. What's the main difference? Let me put it this way :

When I had the TT it was my only car. I loved it - and in fact it was the first car I'd ever had any interest in (I used to use bikes all the time). I sold it because the (ex) girlfriend didn't like driving it.

I didn't want a TT this time, because I am happy with my 911 as a fun weekend car and having a TT and a 911 seemed pointless. I bought NA and am entirely happy that's what I did. But - if I didn't have the 911, and the Supra was my only car (or my fun car) I would definitely buy a TT and wouldn't have considered NA.

I guess it comes down to : if you want a TT, an NA will never be enough. If you want a Supra, NA makes quite enough power to be fun.

OK mate - the impression i get is that the TT is a much quicker car. any info on performance stats, just for comparison? acceleration, top speed, etc?