The mkiv Supra Owners Club

This EnvironMentalists thing has me worried

Gazboy

Are you worried about our car residuals  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Are you worried about our car residuals

• Oh yes, our cars will be worth scrap.
    • Nope, can't see anything changing.
    • Ha ha- it's the chavs with EMIC's that'll kill us...

With all these proposals of supertax to deter people from buying Chelsea Tractors- £2000-£4000 have been mentioned, extortionate parking permits in Richmond, also to combat 'Chelsea tractors' and other bullshit environmental taxes the green lobby & suporters can think of, is anyone else worried that we will be left with cars that are simply to expensive to run (think of it as adding £2500 to your running costs, even if nothing breaks) but unsaleable? Who in their right mind would pay £10k for a ar that would cost £2000 to tax every year?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will happen one day.

I love the way that the logic is tax people heavily on the bad choice, and give them less tax on the good choice.

The biggest concern is there isn't actually a real hybrid car or decent alternative at the moment. They should be ploughing money into research.

In Telford there is no public transport option for me and it's too far to cycle. I suppose I could car share with Vicki more. Maybe that's the answer, sell the ZR and buy a light town car that runs on sunlight or elastic band.

Doesnt interest me about people having to pay parking permits.. there are still plenty of people out there with driveways :)

You ask an interesting question tho, I remember Fifth Gear doing some spoof report of how performance cars will be banned or something in the future or something like that. They could be onto something, just depends on how far each party wants to jump on the environmental bandwagon.

I'm not looking at selling anyway, so not worried at all.

But are you pepared to pay atleast £2k a year road tax?

The last round of road tax hikes were just to silence the Greens- compared to the amount of money we pay at the petrol pumps- the only fair system imo- an extra tenner a year meant nothing- but £2k? That's quite a hike on a ten grand car.

ASlso, people only think this will bge applied to SUV's- it won't, it'll be any vehicle making more than 205g/km- that includes our Supras, and almsost anything else that's interesting- a Celica 190T-sport is already in the bracket G.

Hmmm...engine transplant. :think:

They ask you to take it to a test centre by the way, you can't just change it on paper. Smart car powered Supra.

So if one person makes a transplant kit, fits it then gets it inspected... and then swaps it back again to the original engine??

I think the emissions thing only applies to new cars. We only pay tax based on the CC's, not emissions, as when the Supra came out there is no official value on the emissions which they could use to band it. May be totally wrong, but I'm sure I've read that somewhere.

But are you pepared to pay atleast £2k a year road tax?

What REALLY f*cks me off about this is that it doesn't matter how much you use the vehicle you're charged the same.

So my Kitcar which does less than 1500k a year has to pay the same as everyone else.

That's just bollocks.

It should go by mileage that HAS to be linked into your tax disk at MOT time or something. Or make all the motorways toll roads.

The only tax should be on fuel...if you use it you pay.

A Roadworthy License is all you should pay for extra, which shouldn't be more than £30.

Parking permits...well that's really daft...paying extra cause you have a larger engined vehicle and are not using it....

They cant blanket punish everyone with older cars who may not be able to afford a new 'cleaner' car, its too unfair to too many people... and 2k tax just for owning the car will cripple too many poorer families the gov is supposed to be looking out for.

Why not- our president invaded another country illegaly playing his part in the death of 100,000 people- like he'd give a shit about being fair regarding car tax.

Regarding the other point about CC's- yup, our tax went up by ten pounds last tiem round, so he's proved our burden can and will go up- it's also worth noting that cars built before 2001 but have capacity over 3000cc will be moving up a bracket next April- so if you've got a stroker kit, or bored out your cyinders you'll be paying a little buit more than this year.

How about cleaning up industrial pollution, which is far worse in volume and content than car emissions. Or won't that make loads of money?

It is, once again, about limiting freedom and choice while getting more money in. Absolutely nothing to do with emissions or saving the planet.

-Ian

If they were serious about cutting emissions from road transport, they would start by cutting the distance people have to travel to work and the distance goods have to be transported.

Trouble is, that would mean forcing businesses (and government) to go back to small, local factories and offices, and also to spread them out so that everything isn't jammed into the south east.

Far too difficult.... much easier to disguise tax increases as "green", continue to travel in your chauffered car, and blame everyone else.

How about cleaning up industrial pollution, which is far worse in volume and content than car emissions. Or won't that make loads of money?

It is, once again, about limiting freedom and choice while getting more money in. Absolutely nothing to do with emissions or saving the planet.

-Ian

Ian I completelly agree- the 5 biggest industrial polluters (mostly energy providers) creat more pollution than all 26m private cars combined.

..and why tax C02- are they goping to tax us exhalling? What's the C02 levels in London after the marathon?

A few studies in Germany concluded that in a dust to dust lifecycle, a Pruis is more unfriendly to the environment that a Hummer H2.

Why not- our president

When did we become a republic? :D

Seriously tho, the difference is this tax is going to affect voters more directly than the war in another country will and thats what determines most policy today.

Theres little in the way of real ideas.. its just bandwagon jumping and appearing to give the voters what they want.