The mkiv Supra Owners Club

boost controllers

Guest mk47

has/does anyone use the greddy profec b spec boost controller? how simple is the interface to use etc and also whats preferred.. between the greddy profec bspec or an apexi avcr, or even some other suggestions on boost controllers would be good. im only going to be bpu for now but would like to run on low boost at times aswell rather than use a restrictor ring.

all suggestions welcomed :D

has/does anyone use the greddy profec b spec boost controller? how simple is the interface to use etc and also whats preferred.. between the greddy profec bspec or an apexi avcr, or even some other suggestions on boost controllers would be good. im only going to be bpu for now but would like to run on low boost at times aswell rather than use a restrictor ring.

all suggestions welcomed :D

Boost controllers can't lower boost, they can only raise it so i think you will still need the restrictor ring.

Ive had a profec B spec 2 on a couple of MR2 turbos in the past and although it took a bit of setting up intitially it was quite easy to use with a high and low boost setting. It also had a warning tone to let you know if the boost gets too high.

New AEM boost controler looks nice.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=79621

that looks nice! might just order that one it will fit neatly in the clock location aswell. im stuck now between that and the greddy one. just looked on a site and the other one i like is the greddy profec e-01 that looks quite good too. :search:

not sure what to go for help pleasssee

Boost controllers can't lower boost, they can only raise it so i think you will still need the restrictor ring.

Ive had a profec B spec 2 on a couple of MR2 turbos in the past and although it took a bit of setting up intitially it was quite easy to use with a high and low boost setting. It also had a warning tone to let you know if the boost gets too high.

Hi mate just looked at that aem one that jamie posted it says on that if you want to higher the boost you press 1 button and to lower the other button, thats something like what i was looking for, so i.e. if i went for that aem one would i still need a restrictor ring regardless?

Hi mate just looked at that aem one that jamie posted it says on that if you want to higher the boost you press 1 button and to lower the other button, thats something like what i was looking for, so i.e. if i went for that aem one would i still need a restrictor ring regardless?

I can't see how it can lower the boost below what the wastegate spring is set to so i'd imagine you would still need the restrictor ring, then the boost controller is used to raise the boost from there.

You could have the low setting set to the wastegate pressure (as close to stock as you can get with the de-cats) then the high level set to the maximum boost you want to achieve.

Ok now one more q, reason im after a boost controller is i was told that its better than having just a restrictor ring when i bpu = meaning i could just set the max boost to 1.2 bar. so does that seem about right or is a restrictor ring enough to do the job?

Ok now one more q, reason im after a boost controller is i was told that its better than having just a restrictor ring when i bpu = meaning i could just set the max boost to 1.2 bar. so does that seem about right or is a restrictor ring enough to do the job?

From what i remember an electronic boost controller will bring your maximum boost level lower in the rev range so basically you will hit max boost sooner and hold it right through the revs instead of it rising throughout the rev range as it would with no boost control.

I could be wrong though as i'm not clued up on how the supra turbos work yet, i'm sure a seasoned veteran will be along shortly to explain it better than me.

If you're a j spec you could run a 1bar restrictor ring and use a BC to up your boost to 1.2bar for example.

So run around at 1 bar then have 1.2 avail for those spirited moments!:D

ah that makes sense and yes it is a jspec. so i guess a boost controller would be the way forward for this. think i might just go for that aem one then, ive got a crappy boost guage in the clock location right now so this would look alot better on my lovely mohogany dash :innocent: