The mkiv Supra Owners Club

speedo coverter and delimiter

zoinks

hi guys /girls

i have recently bought a supra n/a and im having trouble with the speedo converter which is fitted but with the engine managment light on all the time and so fourth i have tried to get intouch with thor racing but have had no luck can anyone help please.thx zoinks

Hiya,

I have one of these DSC+TSD modules from Thor, had it installed no probs, then went in to have APEXi Neo installed, came back with Speedo not working and Engine/Warning light on - removed DSC from the car and everything was ok but back to kph and with the 112.5mph limit. Spoke to Pete at Thor (real nice chap) and sent the module back for testing, Pete said it tested out ok, sent it back to me no extra charge - re-fitted, and it worked!! Mad! It had been ok ever since, then recently my battery went FUBAR and I had to get a jump start from someone - after that, same symptoms came back :( Feck! I thought. Sent Pete another message - he was flummoxed at how I could keep knackering the unit... (as was I)... before I did anything more drastic, I went back to the car and did what I do to all my malfuncitoning PC's and peripherals and other electrics - switch off/leave a few minutes, switch back on...

So I removed the -ve battery terminal, left it a few minutes, then re-attached. Jumped back in the car drove it up the road - all back to normal and has been working perfectly ever since. It seems the units can get confused with power spikes/dips - I also hear EL dials can interfere with them on rare occasion.

Dunno if this helps, but it is worth a shot.

Cheers,

Simon.

P.S. I think the guys at Thor have been busy/away or something as it took a little while before I got a reply, but they are definately responsive now.

P.P.S. - double check the wiring, obvious one but just check against the diagram. Did you install yourself?

P.P.P.S - After re-reading I was just checking how you know it is the Thor DSC+TSD, or are you just calling them for advice? I also have a copy of the wiring diagrm I could scan if I get a chance to dig it out - as I guess if it was fitted when you bought it, you may no longer have it?

Hiya,

I have one of these DSC+TSD modules from Thor, had it installed no probs, then went in to have APEXi Neo installed, came back with Speedo not working and Engine/Warning light on - removed DSC from the car and everything was ok but back to kph and with the 112.5mph limit. Spoke to Pete at Thor (real nice chap) and sent the module back for testing, Pete said it tested out ok, sent it back to me no extra charge - re-fitted, and it worked!! Mad! It had been ok ever since, then recently my battery went FUBAR and I had to get a jump start from someone - after that, same symptoms came back :( Feck! I thought. Sent Pete another message - he was flummoxed at how I could keep knackering the unit... (as was I)... before I did anything more drastic, I went back to the car and did what I do to all my malfuncitoning PC's and peripherals and other electrics - switch off/leave a few minutes, switch back on...

So I removed the -ve battery terminal, left it a few minutes, then re-attached. Jumped back in the car drove it up the road - all back to normal and has been working perfectly ever since. It seems the units can get confused with power spikes/dips - I also hear EL dials can interfere with them on rare occasion.

Dunno if this helps, but it is worth a shot.

Cheers,

Simon.

P.S. I think the guys at Thor have been busy/away or something as it took a little while before I got a reply, but they are definately responsive now.

P.P.S. - double check the wiring, obvious one but just check against the diagram. Did you install yourself?

P.P.P.S - After re-reading I was just checking how you know it is the Thor DSC+TSD, or are you just calling them for advice? I also have a copy of the wiring diagrm I could scan if I get a chance to dig it out - as I guess if it was fitted when you bought it, you may no longer have it?

cheers for the info bud many thx

hi guys /girls

i have recently bought a supra n/a and im having trouble with the speedo converter which is fitted but with the engine managment light on all the time and so fourth i have tried to get intouch with thor racing but have had no luck can anyone help please.thx zoinks

That can be caused by having differing speedo signals sent to different electronic units within the Supra (E.g. power steering, odo, ecu).

Couple of questions for you to help try and diagnose the problem;

does the power steering 'weight up' as you go faster or is it feather light all the time? Can you exceed 112mph (NB: indicated speed might show more like 120mph) or does the car just stop accelerating? Does the odo count in miles of km? Does the speedo work in miles or km?

I'll try to help if I can. I'm writing a 'how to' guide for fitting the delimiter/convertor stuff but as it's dark so dammed early now I can't take any pics till I am free at the weekends :(