The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New and needing advice

Guest bluenet

Guest bluenet

Hey everyone,

Found some great information on here already, great community. Loving it. Only problem being before i can buy a supra i need to find some cheaper insurance, does anyone have any ideas?

At 19 the insurance companies love me already but at £2k for a 3L N/A its just not happening yet.

Anyway look 4ward to meetin everyone at some point!

Take it easy

Welcome to the club, looking at your age I was wondering if you have had much experience of rear wheel drive high performance sportscars, the Supra even in its NA guise is one powerful car. Given that lots of youngsters seem to find themselves crashing that is probably why insurance is so high for your age group.

I would probably say drive another smaller car for a couple of years, build up your NCB and then get a Supe. Just my opinion :)

Welcome to the club, looking at your age I was wondering if you have had much experience of rear wheel drive high performance sportscars, the Supra even in its NA guise is one powerful car. Given that lots of youngsters seem to find themselves crashing that is probably why insurance is so high for your age group.

I would probably say drive another smaller car for a couple of years, build up your NCB and then get a Supe. Just my opinion :)

So wait until he is as old as you?:D :innocent:

Guest bluenet

Hardly any experience of RWD cars as yet, but hell there is always time. Had plenty of cars from Fiestas (1st car), VW Passat (2nd), Prelude 2.2 VTEC (3rd), Vectra (now) but i fancy something with a bit more.......... well just more.

A supra to me is one of the sexiest cars out there at the moment, and for what it is (a 13 year old toyota) its such a beast!

A pleasure to drive and a killer on the pocket bit seems so worth it!

Guest bluenet

FWD, 190BHP 4 Wheel steering which was quite .... strange....

The only way i managed insurance on that was i worked for a pitch so i was on their traders policy... YEAH

Guest bluenet

Oh and just to point out im not a chav.... supras are getting cheaper and i agree they deffo arent an ideal car for a first car or anyone without much experience. Driving is a hobby of mine and not just driving around morrisons car park. Track days i do it in style ....

Hi Mate,

Sky Insurance were by far the best out there and they can guarantee an agreed value for your car if/when you have a mishap ;) Elephant are quite reasonable but have heard that they arent so good if you prang it. I am sure there are plenty of members on here that are around 19yrs old and even have Twin Turbos so anything is possible If you have your heart set on this amazing car :eyebrows:

Good luck but if you do end up getting one, drive it with the respect it deserves :cool:

Guest bluenet

I dont think i would survive with a twin turbo, think will start with an N/a for a while.

All supras deserve respect. Went out in a mk1 the other day, 3 litre turbo. Absolutely loved it, pop up headlights, more of a gentlemans car. Amazing

Good luck dude.

At the end of the day, you may have to swallow the insurance costs :( Starting off with an N/A is a good idea, although it'll most likely save you nothing on the insurance (may even cost you more!).

If you can, get a nice, tidy N/A on a limited mileage policy first off to try and keep the costs down. Also, do a bloody good search for the cheapest insurance - years ago I bought a 924 - my first six quotes were well over £1k but eventually I managed to get it down to a more manageable £600.

Guest bluenet

It could be cheaper for a twin turbo? And limited mileage is a good idea, never thought of that.

Anybody got any experience of trackers? Good? Expensive??

It could be cheaper for a twin turbo? And limited mileage is a good idea, never thought of that.

Anybody got any experience of trackers? Good? Expensive??

Yes, because the N/A is an import only and somehow more expensive (??????) coz of course, none of the parts are interchangeable (wrong!) meaning insurance companies can screw us for more money:(

I'm not too sure how the limited mileage works exactly but I know of a couple of mates who have done it in the past.

Trackers are supposed to be very good (pretty expensive too) but fitted with a Thatcham alarm and tracker the insurance should come down a bit more - depends very much on where abouts you live :)

Guest bluenet

I live in the heart of derbyshire, 6 mile to the nearest shop, dont think we've had a break-in for about 20 years around here so insurance should be cheapy anyway.. but no.

And im now coming up with the question cat 1 or cat 2???