The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto owners

Rayman

Is it ok to set the car off in 2 as opposed to D so that it holds 2nd gear and then manually shift into D to get 3rd and 4th?

Im talkin in normal driving mode here, not touched the overdrive button or manual mode button!

I just find this the best way of getting up to speed spiritedly, manual mode i find it a bit weird really changing from 1st myself, id rather have the box do that but id like to hold gear 2 for longer!

Seems to work either way for me so I don't bother with the manual mode most of the time - just od off, 1st, 2nd, D, od on :)

Cool, i actually prefer just leaving it in D for normal everyday driving as im sure everyone else does, but also like using 2 for some engine braking too, unbelievable the difference. Not sure whether engine braking is bad for the engine but certainly stops you quicker. This is the only thing i miss about owning a manual box, good job ive got Uk brakes!

I didnt realise you could shift through the gears your self, thats awesome! i just assumed "manu" was for first if it was very icy condidtions, u mean in manual i can move up to second and third as if it was properly manual without killing it?

Yeh push manual button, put it into L(1st gear) then shift manually into 2(2gear) then again into D(3rd/4th).

To be honest i dont think its that good but you can hold the gear till whenever you choose which is good! The actually shifting feel is crap although it changes quick just like in normal auto mode.

I do pretty much the same i.e. D for normal pootling, OD off for more spirrited driving (and 2nd) and often use 2nd and 3rd for a little assistance with braking.

Haven't had a chance to try it with my UK brakes yet - they've been sat on the car for a couple of weeks now and still not actually done anything :(

if the box is in "d" it starts off in 2nd always, if its in 2nd it starts off in 1st .just had a thought if you select 1st push the man button to on ,then select "d" i wonder if you can use the manu button to change gear. gonna try that 2morrow

Is it ok to set the car off in 2 as opposed to D so that it holds 2nd gear and then manually shift into D to get 3rd and 4th?

Im talkin in normal driving mode here, not touched the overdrive button or manual mode button!

I just find this the best way of getting up to speed spiritedly, manual mode i find it a bit weird really changing from 1st myself, id rather have the box do that but id like to hold gear 2 for longer!

WHAT THE!!!! I HAVE AN AUTO, AM I MISSING SOMETHING. DO I HAVE A MANUAL SWITCH. (WHERE, WHERE, WHERE)

if the box is in "d" it starts off in 2nd always, if its in 2nd it starts off in 1st .just had a thought if you select 1st push the man button to on ,then select "d" i wonder if you can use the manu button to change gear. gonna try that 2morrow

Sorry, but you got this wrong.

If you're not in MANU mode, you select 'D' and it will start in 1st and go through all the gears in sequence. Select '2' and it will start in 1st but not allow you to go beyond 2nd until you move the lever into 'D'. Overdrive will only be engaged after 3rd if you have it selected.

Now press the MANU button to select MANU mode.

If you start in 'D' you'll start in 2nd and the shift will allow you to go as far as 3rd but not allow overdrive to engage. Select '2' and it will start in 2nd and hold 2nd until you move the lever into 'D'. The only way in MANU mode to get 1st is to select 1st.('L') Overdrive doesn't operate in MANU mode.

Got that?

:)

oh right. when i first got it and was fiddling around with all the buttons. i pressed the manu button but the car wasn't on.(silly me) thought it was knackerd and didnt even no what it was for. but just turned on engine now and the light just popped up on the dash.

i wont be able to sleep now. cant wait to drive the beast tomorrow.;)