The mkiv Supra Owners Club

6 speed gear box

Geo

They are a bit clunky, but some are smoother than others. I suspect a lot has to do with the past life of the box.

If you want to make it feel smoother, simply get a longer gear knob!

sweet, will try that mate. nice one.

Or a heavier knob, that will make it feel smoother.

Thats works too, though the stock one is one the heaviest around.

Stay away from quick shifts, aweful bits of kit and even the top range ones wear out very quick. A worn B&M short shift kit caused a huge amount of damage to my box which cost a considerble amount to fix.

Stay away from quick shifts, aweful bits of kit and even the top range ones wear out very quick. A worn B&M short shift kit caused a huge amount of damage to my box which cost a considerble amount to fix.

wow, most other car forums you go on love the short shift kits, guess they dont work on the supe.

What is the stock knob made out of, is it plastic underneath and leather outer, i was thinking along the lines of a heavy metal/chrome knob. Anyone got the weight of the stock knob?

I fitted a whalen shift knob on my previous car and it made such a difference to the gearbox, so much easier to change gear! That weighed 18ounces!

Might just have been the B&M kit on my car, but it certainly made the gearchange more clunky, even when it was new. The throw is shorter, granted.

The stock one is made of steel, I guess its cast as it's solid. It weights more than twice that of the Veilside one I have on the bookshelf.

What parts did it damage and how long did it take? What sort of ££ did it cost to fix? I may have to whip off my B&M short shift!

The stock gear lever is dampened.

It hard to describe, but basically the shifter is very slightly too short. When the mechansim that connects the shifter to the shaft wears it causes it to rub against the mounting flange. This in turn causes the selctor shaft to move slightly up and down and causes wear on the remote seal. After 2 years of mis diagnosis it ended up with numerous oil seal replacements and eventually the replacement of the entire mechanism (£175, plus £95 labour). However the constant loss of oil has destroyed the syncro and the gearbox needs a rebuild. So far I have spent nealr £1k over the last 2-3 years trying to diagnose the problem, but now face a further £1k+ rebuild... all caused by a worn short shift.

It hard to describe, but basically the shifter is very slightly too short. When the mechansim that connects the shifter to the shaft wears it causes it to rub against the mounting flange. This in turn causes the selctor shaft to move slightly up and down and causes wear on the remote seal. After 2 years of mis diagnosis it ended up with numerous oil seal replacements and eventually the replacement of the entire mechanism (£175, plus £95 labour). However the constant loss of oil has destroyed the syncro and the gearbox needs a rebuild. So far I have spent nealr £1k over the last 2-3 years trying to diagnose the problem, but now face a further £1k+ rebuild... all caused by a worn short shift.

Thanks Darryl,

Bloody hell mate!

I think I will stick my original shifter back on!

Cheers,

Ro

Thanks Darryl,

Bloody hell mate!

I think I will stick my original shifter back on!

Cheers,

Ro

Not sure it's necessary to bin in until it starts to feel heavy or notchy, thats when problems might start to show.

I thought the problems were solved with the entire shifter replacement, but that was knocked on the head when How_Supra drove it and couldn't manage a single downshift (she wasn't strong enough :D ). Only then did I realise its still f*cked!

Not sure it's necessary to bin in until it starts to feel heavy or notchy, thats when problems might start to show.

I thought the problems were solved with the entire shifter replacement, but that was knocked on the head when How_Supra drove it and couldn't manage a single downshift (she wasn't strong enough :D ). Only then did I realise its still f*cked!

I'll try and get Sabrina to test my car!

My six speed is very nice, it can be a little clonky especially when cold but it is positive and when you are used to it, it shifts gears very quickly. My car has 93k. I had the clutch and flywheel replaced at 76k and that helped improve it even more.

I wonder if the one you saw didn't really have the right oil or have said oil up to temperature or maybe cclutch or flywheel were on their way out.