The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tiptronic vs manual

Chiefgroover

Whats the tip system like on the supra, 4 or 5 speed? is it dead slow and unresponsive like an FTO? or is it pretty good?

What sort of bhp will the trans take before it needs uprated?

can't comment from a driving point of view but i've been in a VVTi tiptronic and the gear changes seemed really instant, was quite impressed actually.

can't comment from a driving point of view but i've been in a VVTi tiptronic and the gear changes seemed really instant, was quite impressed actually.

:D

Weston Performance was impressed too on the RR day. The graph showed hardly any dip in power on change.

Must admit, I'd quite fancy a manual as my next one though.

Was very impressed also, think it was the same car :D

Must admit, I'd quite fancy a manual as my next one though.

Same here, the next Supra (Jo will hopefully be having one) will definitely be a manual but I will only use it for fun/weekend driving. Still planning on keeping my auto for daily driving because I have a very dodgy knee :(

If the tiptronic was a six speed I would have one straight away. I just don't feel there's enough control over the auto with just the four long ratio gears when it comes to driving situations like track days or twisty B roads. For everyday driving and straight line blasts you can't beat the Supra auto box though :)

If the tiptronic was a six speed I would have one straight away. I just don't feel there's enough control over the auto with just the four long ratio gears when it comes to driving situations like track days or twisty B roads. :)

This is the info i wanted, only 4 speed? eeww...thats got to be real slow. Track days I need it for so I guess it just wont do very well.

eeww...thats got to be real slow. Track days I need it for so I guess it just wont do very well.

Not really. Don't forget there's good power throughout the rev range, it's not like you have to sit right on a power band.

Go for manual though if you're into track days.

The tip on the FTO was pointless, at least 50% of the time it didn't change up or down when you wanted it to. [could have been my car though to be fair]. :D

think that was just your car! Mum and Dad's FTO drives fine with tiptronic :) About the only thing that DOES work well of course ;)

Driven a '98 tip and I was amazed if I'm honest, only ever driven 2 but been a passenger in loads - my dads had loads of Beemers over the years through work and they were almost always tiptronic. He used to say how good the system was on those, and I'd say the Soop was at the very least on a par. Really superb piece of kit - very fast indeed. :)

Driven a '98 tip and I was amazed if I'm honest, only ever driven 2 but been a passenger in loads - my dads had loads of Beemers over the years through work and they were almost always tiptronic. He used to say how good the system was on those, and I'd say the Soop was at the very least on a par. Really superb piece of kit - very fast indeed. :)

I prefer my tiptronic to a manual 6 speed :) Best of both worlds for me anyway....