The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aircon fuel economy

Ian C

For the last two tankfuls, every time I've taken the car out it's been raining. When it rains, I switch the blower to feet & windscreen, fan position 1, and aircon on. Stops everything misting up.

And for the last two tankfuls I've experienced a noticeable drop in fuel economy. For a while I thought something was up but could it really just be my constant use of aircon? With the driving style I've been using I should see about 180miles by half a tank and I'm getting 150... Thoughts please :)

-Ian

180 miles for half a tank? that's damn good, or is yours a UK spec Ian?

it could well be the use of the air con i suppose although i have to admit i don't usually see a huge drop when i use mine (although admittedly it's in short bursts rather than constant usage).

J-spec T67 - big turbo's driven at normal speeds = better MPG because there is no turbo down low...+ the manifold and turbo have a better VE than the stock system.

Mine must be seriously overfueling then. I only get 200 miles to a full tank driving very economically...without air con on.

J-spec T67 - big turbo's driven at normal speeds = better MPG because there is no turbo down low...+ the manifold and turbo have a better VE than the stock system.

mine is an n/a and i'm lucky to see 150 to half a tank :confused:

i think a new O2 sensor is in order :D

Er, right, wow, this got busy while I was away :)

OK so it looks like my use of the aircon is what's doing it. That's cool as the only other option was a fuel leak :scare: as I know it's not running too rich under acceleration or cruise (AFR gauge for the win).

Yep, turning the aircon on raises the idle. It also drops again when the compressor disengages - it doesn't actually constantly run it, I think it's off for about half the time it's on. I had the aircon on, the lights on, the rear demister, and it was running the cold start cycle, I didn't use the accelerator for half a mile the revs were that high ;) Oh, and the aircon compressor is declutched if you go wide open throttle so it shouldn't affect performance under those conditions ;)

It's a J-spec tank, so 70 litres. I've squeaked 300 miles out of a tank, but the needle was on the last line (about 7 litres left) and my retina was burnt from the orange warning light. That was a good steady motorway cruise at 90mph as well, with some boostage. As Alex said, the VE of these engines goes up by about 3mpg when you junk the stock hotside bits and replace them with a big turbo and tubular manifold. You could use that to sell the conversion to your other half you know.

-Ian