The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Airbag disarmament

SupraStar 3000

i didn't even know you had to disconnect the battery

good job i didn't remove it :innocent:

its just for safety you can remove the wheel and the airbag will not go off (honest) even if you smack it with a hammer:d

the crash sensors that activate the airbags are fitted to the front inner wing corners, so don't smack it there.

It shouldn't go off providing the ignition is switched off. The airbag system relys on an ignition voltage to trigger.

So all you need to do, it make sure the ignition is off and you'll be fine.

I once even tried to make a removed airbag blow. Bloody thing wouldn't go. All it did is make the cable get hot :( However, I've also witnessed a Porsche door airbag go, and it was f**king loud! I wouldn't want one going off in my face!

You ever heard one go off while the cars static? Go's with a hell of a pop!! We tried putting one in the microwave once. :D

lol jez you like putting things in the microwave dont you :blink:

Heh, I thought the main reason for disconnecting the battery before arsing around with the steering wheel/dash was to stop the irritating light coming on in the dash!? (which needs some cunning, guile, a paper clip and some luck to fix?) Other than that it shouldn't set the sucker off - unless of course you are thinking of pouring a few gallons of saline solution into the vents or some such stuff (not unheard of ;)).

Ed, here's my tip of the day for disarming the airbag:

1. Find a slope with a stationary object at the bottom (eg. wall, tree, parked car, etc).

2. Position car at top of slope facing down hill at said object.

3. With the engine running, put the car into neutral.

4. Step out of car, whilst the door is open lean in and let off the hand brake.

5. Quickly stand back from car..... :bang:

Voila :nyah:

I have had a battery explode in my face, and seen an airbag go off in someones face

Was a Salesman for a car dealer, had a dodgy C4 in with an airbag warning light on, marked on window 'do not drive' instead of a flatbed or trailer they sent a guy to collect it. He spent 5 mins with a blade scratching the warning off the screen, got in, ign on and face full of bag :p

Thanks Nic,

That worked a treat! :)

All I need now is a new front end, rad, 2x lights, number plate and a good lawyer as the car crashed into a school bus full of homeless children on a day-trip to willy wonkers chocolate factory.

:blink:

i'm assuming due to the willy wonka reference you're talking poo and you're actually just changing your steering wheel?

Heh, I thought the main reason for disconnecting the battery before arsing around with the steering wheel/dash was to stop the irritating light coming on in the dash!? (which needs some cunning, guile, a paper clip and some luck to fix?) Other than that it shouldn't set the sucker off - unless of course you are thinking of pouring a few gallons of saline solution into the vents or some such stuff (not unheard of ;)).

You don't even need to disconnect the battery for that. Just make sure you take the keys out of the ignition before you start dismantling the dash/steering wheel, so that you're not tempted to turn the ignition on, and you'll have no problems. :)