The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PITA MOT numberplate regs

SimonB

Just had my MOT done today, it's getting more of a pain! I use a "friendly" MOT place that pass it on emmissions despite being decatted, so that's not a problem, it's the other stuff. I already have to stick on some LED side indicator repeaters each year to pass MOT, this year it failed on the spacing on my numberplates!

If you've seen my plates, they are standard font, size etc but there is a space between the first two characters so it says "R 500 PRA" whereas strictly it should be "R500 PRA". That's not good enough any more it seems! Apparently they now have a machine that measures the spacing etc as part of the electronic MOT. Not sure if this is the case everywhere now or just my local place, but they have no choice but to fail it.

So, they had to make up two new plates, cable tie them on for the MOT and then take them straight off again. What a PITA waste of time.

I had this as well only they didn't even go as far as fixing the plates on to take them off again, they just had them made up and put them in the boot.

Standard font, standard size, just no larger space between the first block and the second, perfectly easy to read.

Where was that Simon - Triton?

Mine's in there today for full service, SMIC fit, MoT and (if it turns up) exhaust fit.

I'm betting I get one or two things to fix for the MoT as well though. :(

Yeah it was. I do have a stick-on plate on the front, but that would have been fine if the spacing had been correct.