The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just fitted new smic.

jamesmark

Well just fitted smic (well Saturday) bought from Paul E, good turnaround , more than what could be said about the fcd, spark plugs and fuel pump, smic was well packaged too.

Anyway it looks amazing and compared to the stock one a hell of a lot better (as in looks). After a little teething problem (intercooler pipe not fitted back on :innocent: ) fixed that tonight and went out for a little run and it's brilliant the car feels mare alive tbh, there seems to be a bigger kick when #2 tubby comes online, not massive but a brilliant and noticable improvement, this is coupled with walbro and ik24 spraks, ran out of time so the double decat and fcd is going on in about a weeks time I cant wait. Went for the Miami one as I could not justify the double asking price of the CW one when both the Miami and CW one have never been officially tested and with what am doing with the car I dont need a supposed uprated one from either Miami or CW.

http://img436.imageshack.us/img436/5698/pict1634vc4.jpg

http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/6518/pict1636pg5.jpg

http://img275.imageshack.us/img275/2650/pict1638br7.jpg

Why did i shudder when i saw the thread title! You're old one looks in surprisingly good condition?! Is there any noticeable difference with the new one on?

I aint a techy so I can only give a normal Joe's honest opinion, I have fitted (well not me cheers to Andy Hannah and his mate Paul) smic, walbro and ik24 spraks and its feels a hell of a lot better, so yes noticable, my car used to bog down when when I put the foot down and now it only ever so slightly does it, so Robsheffield suggested maybe small leak in the old smic? but the car has a better pick up seems more urgent but not like what what people that have went bpu have claimed, double decat is next week and fcd going to run @ 1.2bar (when I get boost controller)

Looks good! I'm sure the nay sayers will be braying about it's an inferior product to a real Toyota one, but it's got to be better than a fucked original.

I'm thinking about getting this one early next year (might aswell let winter shag the one I've got first) or buy a Toyota one from a SF member from a dry state when they swap theirs for a FMIC. The Miami one looks a lot easier logisticaly.

Looks good! I'm sure the nay sayers will be braying about it's an inferior product to a real Toyota one, but it's got to be better than a fucked original.

To be honest mate I agree, but am happy with the results so far, however if it was to fall to pieces or develop a hole that was not caused by wear and tear I will be the first to voice concern. Again like you said its better than a shagged one and my one when I took it off was just flaking away, the pics were taken before I flaked it away.

To be honest mate I agree, but am happy with the results so far, however if it was to fall to pieces or develop a hole that was not caused by wear and tear I will be the first to voice concern. Again like you said its better than a shagged one and my one when I took it off was just flaking away, the pics were taken before I flaked it away.

Mine was ok until I hit a bird- medium sized dark thing, got annihilated by the intercooler- I was picking bits of bird out of it for months. That was the tipping point for it to start rotting I think.

Mine goes on tomorrow at Triton. :)

My existing SMIC's in a lot worse condition than yours. Most of the fins have already disintegrated away to about 1/2 inch back from the front face. :( I'm not looking for performance gains, just back to stock will do fine.

I've printed out Tony's how-to, but are there any pitfalls you found not covered there?

I've printed out Tony's how-to, but are there any pitfalls you found not covered there?

Not really any pit falls, I have not seens Tony's guide, but it is a really really simple job as long you remember to do up the pipes, I forgot one little grip :innocent: but apart from that its a csae of 4 screws that you have undo and 3 grips (one at the top of the intercooler and 2 at the bottom) I would maybe suggest doing the bottom pipe first and then put it it in the top.

I used a trolley jack to hold it in place then done up the screws, remember and take the 2 clips off the top of the smic and put them on the new one, as you will see the top two holes just like the old one are not threaded so the clips are needed, I found that back 2 screws a total bitch to line up.

I used a trolley jack to hold it in place then done up the screws,

phhh so why was i holding the bugger:p

You were only holding it as I got cramp in my leg and I saw that you were struggling :innocent: however the trolley jack did work better to hold it in place then use hands to adjust it.