The mkiv Supra Owners Club

-6an, -8an, what does it all mean?

Homer

I had the same trouble mate - spoke to the guys at think Automotive and they sorted it out right away. Actually spent nearly £180 on aerquip fittings and pipes with them yesterday, but didn't want to ask for them to explain the fitting thing...

I know it relates to the internal diameter of hoses and fitments, but how do you translate imperial measurements to these?

I had assumed it was:

4/16 inch = -4

8/16 inch = -8

etc

but that doesn't seem correct.

That's right for JIC connections, they are named after the size of hose they fit, so -8 is 8/16th or 1/2inch ID. There are several types of thread and fitting, JIC is a parallel (i.e. not tapered) thread that seals with a cone shaped seat - this means you have to use a special dowty seal (washer with a rubber bit) if you screw one into a hole in something.

Then there's BSP, which is the British parallel thread - basically the same as JIC but a different thread pitch so they won't connect up. They are named after the ID of the hose they fit, so you get 1/2BSP for example.

Then you have NPTF which is a tapered thread that seals by using PTFE tape and tightning it up - the threads deform slightly when you tighten them. NPTF is measured in 1/2inch etc too, and you can use a 1/2NPTF male with a 1/2BSP female (not the other way round though).

Those are the main ones, although you also get metric, which are given as something like M12x1.5, where that's the diameter of the male thread and 1.5 is the pitch. There's also a japanese standard NPT which is slightly different to NPTF, and theres a British standard taper thread as well but you don't get those often.