The mkiv Supra Owners Club

White immulsified oil around filler cap

Supradan

Just took my oil filler cap off and found white residue around cap,there is no sign of oil in coolant and the oil on the dip stick is clear is this likely to be just down to moisture around filler cap or is it signs of something more serious.

Any help would be much appreciated:)

After a lot of searching through old posts i have found a few that mention they get this if the car is standing for a while,mine has just spent 8 weeks on a boat+standing time in japan and i have not had an oil change yet(i know should get it done but the oil looks like new) so hopefully this is the problem.

Im so good im answering my own posts lol:d

It is called mayonase, normaly caused by a faulty headgasket.

Easy way to check is run your car over to your local MOT station and ask him to put his emissions tester in the coolant header tank(not in the water just in the top). If you get more then 20 HC then you need to replace the headgasket.

Clean the cap off and take the car for a nice long run to help get rid of any moisture. Check the cap again to see if it re-appears.

If I were you I would have all the fluids changed. I did so I knew exactly where I was starting from for future servicing.

Could be because its now turning cold and you're only doing short journeys??

If the oil doesn't have time to warm up sufficiently on each journey the condensation from combustion forms emulsion at the highest point... i.e filler cap.

If you're not loosing coolant & don't have mayonaise in the rad or header tank then clean it out & go for a good long hard drive.

Try to not do short journeys for a week & if it doesn't come back that was the problem.

Mayo is only caused when oil mixes with water, I stongly advise you dont take it for a hard run without being sure what is causing it. Have a look under the oil filler cap and see if there are any traces of mayo in the rocker cover.

As Burna says change the fluids and but before you do, check to see if the oil level is low or high!

...i have not had an oil change yet(i know should get it done but the oil looks like new) ..

It is an unwise practice not to change ALL fluids and filters immediately.

Especially oil.

Assume that everything is old, substandard, expired and knackered.

It is an unwise practice not to change ALL fluids and filters immediately.

Especially oil.

Assume that everything is old, substandard, expired and knackered.

amen to that ^^

It sounds more like the moisture in the air than a head gasket failure. If the head gasket has gone then you'd get other signs like creamy build up on the dipstick, water loss from the coolant and pressurisation in the header tank. I'd err on the side of caution for a while and keep checking you oil condition and water level. Oh and it would be wise to change the oil too.