The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wobbling steering wheel

razza

I've just noticed that there's a bit of play/wobble in the steering wheel, i.e. driving straight on a decent surface and the wheel's wobbling slightly left to right, is it the tracking? or something worse?

How much is it to get the tracking done if it is that? And any recommendations around Wokingham area on where to get it done?

Cheers

it could just be the car tramlining if it's doing it on a particular section of road due to the shape of the road.

if it's doing it a lot then i'd get a full geo done on it (would recommend this if it hasn't been done since you've got the car anyway) and not just your tracking looked at.

beg your pardon, i misread the original post.

if it's a wobble i'd check the wheel balancing first (especially if it does it at a set speed and you can push through it).

if not then get a geo done.

Start with having the front wheels balanced. The quality of the balancing varies so if it is not cured try a different garage to have it re-balanced and then start looking at other possible problems if it's not fixed. Does it happen when you apply the brakes or without the brakes?

found the culprite, have got a bump in the front right tyre on the inside, must've been from a bloody pot hole, new tyres on monday wil sort that out. Only wish I could remember where it was so I could get the council to pay for it. May have to do tracking as well.

Anyone know of any bad potholes on the centre/right of the left hand side of the road anywhere near Reading/Wokingham so I can get photo evidence, will save me some dosh.

found the culprite, have got a bump in the front right tyre on the inside, must've been from a bloody pot hole, new tyres on monday wil sort that out. Only wish I could remember where it was so I could get the council to pay for it. May have to do tracking as well.

Anyone know of any bad potholes on the centre/right of the left hand side of the road anywhere near Reading/Wokingham so I can get photo evidence, will save me some dosh.

Mate - Highly unlikely you get any compensation from the council but maybe worth a try!

The last time I looked into it a Pot hole has to be reported and then the council has two months to fix it. How will you prove that a particular pot hole caused the damage?

happens all the time now, just noticed it last week, did hit a bitch of a pot hole so may have done something to the tracking. what's the cost of this now-a-days?

I know you've found the problem now, but just in case anyone was still wondering, full laser alignment is about £50-£60, with a full graphical print out, depending on where you go.

my old man knackered one of his wheels (rim included) and got a payout from the council for both a new tyre and a new wheel because they hadn't repaired a pot hole, so definately worth a try.

As for laser alignment etc. anyone recommend a place in Wokingham/Reading?

Find some roadworks, ie. contraflow with a temp road surface that you drive on (raised manholes etc), and claim against the contractors. They have an obligation to make sure the road is safe to drive on. Contact the council first and let them know about the situation and they'll give you all the details you need on how to claim. The council don't care cos it's not their money and the contractors have insurance.

I got a new exhaust for my mk iii like this:d