The mkiv Supra Owners Club

(Probably) a new owner

DaveK

Hi,

I used to own an import TT Supra (about 7 or 8 years ago). I currently own a Ford Focus (yawn...) and a 964 model 911. I have decided to replace the focus with something more interesting - either another (older) 911 or a Supra. I don't want a turbo this time because the 911 is my fun car.

I am booked to see an N/A Supra on Saturday. It is advertised as a facelift SZ - but having read the guide, I wonder if it actually is. I can see from the photos it has the cosmetic mods - but I wonder if it has the VVTI engine - and if I read the model guide correctly, the facelift also has a 6 speed box?

It doesn't make a huge difference - I'd like 6 gears but can live without it. And from the ad / talking to the owner, it seems to tick all the right boxes. But does anybody know the car?

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/92262.htm

Any advice what I should check for when buying?

Dave

looks like it should be a six speed alright, not sure about the VVTi part though as there were some that came facelifted but pre-VVTi.

good luck with it though, looks a good un and a cracking colour (try and haggle the price down though obviously ;))

ps

pics of the 911? ;)

I tried selling it at the start of the year (glad I didn't now) - you wouldn't believe the number of people who called (from an ad with photos) and then said "yeah, but I don't really want a white one"...

I didn't either - and still think all 911s should be black - but they do actually look good in white. It's got a few rust bubbles and needs some paint - I will probably get it all repainted within the next year or so and not sure yet whether it will stay white.

Actually - I have another question. According to the guide, I need to use super unleaded (or higher).

Is this really true for an N/A? I can't remember what I used in the TT I owned. Is Japan octane really higher? I know that Octane ratings in the US are different so I wonder if it's the same in Japan?

The reason I ask is that I have a fuel card - which specifically says they won't pay for super unleaded unless I can prove I have to use it.......

Got an answer from the seller - it's not got a 6-speed box, and it's not VVTi. So it seems it has the cosmetic facelift mods but not many of the mechanical ones. He said it does have :

"all the external body updates: Revised lights, front spoiler,

indicators, new colours etc

Mechanical updates: Revised ABS, driveshafts, suspension changes, strengthened body and additional energy absorbing pads etc,

Internal mods of updated dash, analogue clock, seats, twin airbags, sound absorbing materials, revised interior colours to name a few."

Still looks like a good deal - but might leave room for price negotiation. Got a good insurance quote, so I'm feeling positive!