The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to get more power from a 1994 NA?

Guest samcoombes

Guest samcoombes

Hey everyone

I'm new to Supra ownership, so take it easy on me!

I've just bought a standard 1994 NA Supra, and love it to bits.

What bhp are these cars as standard? I was wondering what else could be done engine wise to push the power up a bit - and pelase don't tell me to buy a TT - can't justify the insurance :(

I used to have a 1995 BMW 323, and with this, i was able to add induction kit and BBTB to gain a it more power, along with a different manifold and remap. Are things like this available for the Supra? What am I looking at price wise?

I'd also like a decent exhaust - which is best? Something that may add a little power, look good, and sound nice (not like a boyracer) :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi and welcome to the club, in answer to your question, when the Supe left the factory in 1994 it was probably pushing out 220bhp, now after 12 years you are looking at about 200bhp. You can decat and put on an aftermarket exhaust, induction kit (Apexi is the best of the bunch, or an after market filter fo your stock box) this will probably release 10 to 12bhp all together. You cannot chip the NA, despite what anyone else says. Martin at MkIV stores has a header for the NA which he did a RR test on and that gave another 9bhp. Unless you want to spend massive amounts on the car that is probably the most you will get.

Uprating the suspension, for better handling and swapping the JSpec brakes for the UK setup which is bigger and also means you can brake later into the corner is also something to consider.

On choice of exhaust, there are so many to choose from, I have the RSR which is quiet around town but VERY loud when its WOT.

Guest samcoombes

thanks for the reply mate. Where is the best place to look for RSR Exhaust pricing? do you have any pics of yours by any chance? Also the Apexi filters - can you get the mushroom shaped ones? again, where would be a good place to look? Just about toe visit http://www.mkivstore.com, which I believe is highly recommended on this site...?

Thanks

thanks for the reply mate. Where is the best place to look for RSR Exhaust pricing? do you have any pics of yours by any chance? Also the Apexi filters - can you get the mushroom shaped ones? again, where would be a good place to look? Just about toe visit http://www.mkivstore.com, which I believe is highly recommended on this site...?

Thanks

RSRs are pretty good also another one which id reccomend to you is the miami gt stainless one, which is just £300 and just as good imo, sound very nice and also have good ground clearance which is always a good thing.

the mushroom filters are the hks and theyre pretty much a no go zone as theyre the crappyest of the lot! most people reccomend the apexi induction, ive got the blitz sus though and thats very good too. so a few options for you there ;)

check out http://www.miami-gt.co.uk and http://www.envyperformance.com they are highly reccomended also, and very helpful.

NA Tuning.... We have some development on this :)

Funnily enough, to get power the first thing you should do is give the car a full service! sounds silly but it really does make a difference... I have added BPU parts to mine (Walbro pump, Denso Iridiums, Decat, Cat Back exhaust, K&N Panel filter) to a freshly sercviced motor.. The difference is very noticeable....

Obviously these parts have been done time and time again but next week i will be fitting a new manifold and a set of developmental MKivStore cams... Dave (RR guru) and Jason (ex WRC engine builder) have designed these and the forecast/projection of the performance is looking good... I have no doubt they will be fine tuned once the car gets on the rollers for optimum performance, but i think we are going for useable torque not out and out power gains....

We should have some graghs for you lot in the next few weeks and i will be videoing the runs for all of you that dont believe in Internet figures....

We are hoping to be able to offer a kind of BPU package or Stage 1/2/3 type packages for you over the next few months...

Mine will be the first and I can wait... :D

after playing with other cars on the road my car is much quicker than it used to be.

prior to fiddling with it i got slightly outdone on numerous occasions by a megane 225 (theres someone that lives round here with one). Now mine is slightly quicker than his

NA Tuning.... We have some development on this :)

Funnily enough, to get power the first thing you should do is give the car a full service! sounds silly but it really does make a difference... I have added BPU parts to mine (Walbro pump, Denso Iridiums, Decat, Cat Back exhaust, K&N Panel filter) to a freshly sercviced motor.. The difference is very noticeable....

Obviously these parts have been done time and time again but next week i will be fitting a new manifold and a set of developmental MKivStore cams... Dave (RR guru) and Jason (ex WRC engine builder) have designed these and the forecast/projection of the performance is looking good... I have no doubt they will be fine tuned once the car gets on the rollers for optimum performance, but i think we are going for useable torque not out and out power gains....

We should have some graghs for you lot in the next few weeks and i will be videoing the runs for all of you that dont believe in Internet figures....

We are hoping to be able to offer a kind of BPU package or Stage 1/2/3 type packages for you over the next few months...

Mine will be the first and I can wait... :D

Sounds interesting:Pling: :Pling: Any ideas on expected outputs/gains? What would we (possibly) be looking at when combined with your zorst headers??:)

all the figures are up in the air... or Internet figures!... I dont really want to estimate just yet, but the set up of the car will be for driveability, torque not out and out power gains..

My car will be returned to standard to get a base figure then, we will modify the car 1 step at a time to see the HP, TQ figures changing...

Should be good, and then we can give estimated gains when you get each stage... (Estimation based on car being sound in the first place.)

Getting quite excited...

Yeah i know.. i could throw in a few numbers to make us look good... but thats not how I like to do things...

If i sell you something and quote a figure, I want it to be realistic and proven on a healthy car.. Then as long as your cars healthy... 10BHP on my car will be simular to the gains on yours...

I hate internet figures... Its all BS..