The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sequential Big Twins.......

Suprash

Does anyone know if such a setup exists yet?

I want some and would even be willing to pay top dollar, as I think this setup would rock and be one of a first.....

Could this be made up as a bespoke? Is there someone out there that could do it.......????

I dont want a single as I would miss the sequential setup too much and Hybrids are my last limit in that case......:(

:search:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a thought - have you ever driven/been in a properly set up small single? I've been a passenger in a couple of top spec ones and was blown away by the low down performance, they were the same as my BPU in the low range (sub 3k rpm), but had massively more power from 3k rpm, in any gear.

No, its not how fast they spool, they could be fully spooled by 1,500rpm, it wouldnt sway me........I love the seqential setup.

Taking people out and they go "go on then put your foot down", so you do, then their like "Oooooo, fast ain-AHHHHHHHHH", where at that point unbeknown to them tubby two has just come online. Their face is priceless, plus I love that feeling of extra power half way through.......I think Toyota got it totally right using the sequential setup, it may be complicated, it may be a head ache, but for driver fun-ability I rate it over singles all day long.....just my own opinion though..... ;)

Okay, it's not so much the sequential system you like, its that huge kick in the arse when the 2nd tubbie comes online? If so I totally agree :D

A single (or twin) upgrade will give a smother power delivery, but even so the a small single isn't far of that 4k kick.. its just that it last a lot longer!

Have you seen the T61dbb vs my BPU car dyno?

Okay, it's not so much the sequential system you like, its that huge kick in the arse when the 2nd tubbie comes online? If so I totally agree :D

A single (or twin) upgrade will give a smother power delivery, but even so the a small single isn't far of that 4k kick.. its just that it last a lot longer!

Have you seen the T61dbb vs my BPU car dyno?

Yes it is that extra kick you get when no.2 come online, but thats becuase of the sequential system right ?

I could drive a more powerfull single, and think yeah that is powerfull, but I would still miss that midrange punch.......

So you know of any lol....?

But a single would deliver the power in a more linear way, not like a no.2 coming online in a sequential setup.......

And I dont want a ride in a well set up single as yes I would prob then say "Ooooo, all that power I want, I want".......and then forget about my love for the sequential..........

Maybe, dont know, your confusing me now.....lol :D

Ash, in a good small single setup the turbo will come online with more of a punch and faster than the stock/hybrid system.. here is the BPU vs T61 graph mentioned eariler:

Edited to add - the blue lines are the T61 hp and torque, the Green and red are the BPU at 1.2 bar. Its running stock ceramics so has faster spool than the UK's or hybrids.

T61 vs BPU.jpg

Man, you guys are trying to pursaude me arent you.........

Ok, ok, someone with a well set up single get in contact with me and take me for a spin..........

But twin just look sexy......and I really would like something a little different one day...... ;)

Man, you guys are trying to pursaude me arent you.........

Not at all mate! Just trying to give you the facts to make a balanced decision. All I can recommend is you get a drive in as many different cars as you can, after all only you can decide whats best suited for you :)

Not at all mate! Just trying to give you the facts to make a balanced decision. All I can recommend is you get a drive in as many different cars as you can, after all only you can decide whats best suited for you :)

True, ok, I will.......but Im still interested to know if there are any sequential twin setups about......

Ash, in a good small single setup the turbo will come online with more of a punch and faster than the stock/hybrid system.. here is the BPU vs T61 graph mentioned eariler:

Edited to add - the blue lines are the T61 hp and torque, the Green and red are the BPU at 1.2 bar. Its running stock ceramics so has faster spool than the UK's or hybrids.

That's Terry's old car with the GT35R- arguably one of the fastest spooling singles I've seen, and it's very, very impressive, but it's not cheap by any means.

Regarding sequential upgrades- there are atleast two cars that had this done- the Toyota/HKS California demo car which had HKS GT2530's in sequence- this car was bought by a chap on Supraforums, when turbine#2 let go he had the whole lot taken off and had a big single installed instead.

The other car was built by TDi using HKS GT2510's. They do offer this upgrade, but when I enquired about it that didn't respond to any emails or give a price- so make of that what you will.

You'll need to make up some adaptor plates to mount the turbo's to the manifold, or if you are feeling brave, make your own manifold (which when I checked was going to cost atleast £1100).

The HKS car for some reason unexplained by the current owner didn't have pre-spool to tubby2- he thinks this is why it let go, so this problem would have to be addressed.

I have a mate that had a twin HKS set up done, trully awsome, I believe the bill was around 8k, I can ask him where and how much it cost to get done, and indeed which tubbies he used.

The car ended up with around 600+ horses and a truly awsome kick up the arse.:blink:

I thought the issue was that a big single doesn't spool up as quickly as a small turbo, so there's no point in doing it sequentially as you won't gain enough at the low end to warrant it.

This is the very reason Toyota developed the system in the first place, so they could use a smaller turbo!! They wanted it to spool early, but also have higher power at the top end.

Am I the only person who doesn't want to 'feel' the kick then? When I took Pete out in mine I drove like I normaly do - making sure the turbo doesn't spin up suddenly, basically I was always VERY smooth with the throttle up to 4k, so you don't really feel the transission.

But Pete turned to me and said "It doesn't kick as much as I thought it would" so then I just planted it at 1500 rpm and got the big kick at 4k as you expect!

I thought it would damage the turbos more anyway having it kick in like that, but it seems everyone drives it specifically to have a kick from them?

Am I the only person who doesn't want to 'feel' the kick then? When I took Pete out in mine I drove like I normaly do - making sure the turbo doesn't spin up suddenly, basically I was always VERY smooth with the throttle up to 4k, so you don't really feel the transission.

But Pete turned to me and said "It doesn't kick as much as I thought it would" so then I just planted it at 1500 rpm and got the big kick at 4k as you expect!

I thought it would damage the turbos more anyway having it kick in like that, but it seems everyone drives it specifically to have a kick from them?

I'm the same actually, I try and use the power delivery in a linear way so as to use the maximum torque possible. The very nature of turbo's means that a kick is inevitable but surely being more linear goes hand in hand with smoother, more responsive driving? I will be looking into the DBB single option most likely when my j-specs die (it WILL happen, just a question of when :innocent: )

Have had a word with my mate and he had 2 x HKS GT 2835's fitted, the car then becomes a twin set up and not sequential - apparently!

He had it done at T.D.I in north London - web site is: TDI-plc.com

It don't come cheap mind, I believe the kit alone - no fitting or set up - is around the 6k mark, hence him spending close to 8k on fittment, set up and a few other bits.

AND they will kick you up the arse

:eyebrows:

Hope this helps.