The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crank Pulley - Toyota or BoostLogic?

tDR

Have my crank pulley off just now doing the timing belt and the hub part is showing crack lines so I need to think about replacing it.... thing is, I've seen for and against for both replacing it with an aftermarket item that claims to cure the problem such as the BoostLogic and also for replacing it with a new stock Toyota unit. Cost wise they're about the same if buying from the states......... so which should it be? Opinions please...

Also, should I replace the timing belt tensioner with a BoostLogic offering or a new Toyota item whilst we're at it? My current one doesn't appear to show any signs of fatigue though.

Cheers,

Brian.

I would say use a stock one. After all, how much benefit are you supposed to get from the Boostlogic one?

-Ian

A very good argument Ian, but what if the new stock one fails in say 3 years? If the BL item does the same dampening job as effectively as stock but also gives longevity, is it not better to go for that? Or is the argument that the BL won't / can't dampen as well as stock?

Cheers,

Brian.

A very good argument Ian, but what if the new stock one fails in say 3 years? If the BL item does the same dampening job as effectively as stock but also gives longevity, is it not better to go for that? Or is the argument that the BL won't / can't dampen as well as stock?

Cheers,

Brian.

Mmm, that's an interesting argument, but a) I've never heard of a stocker failing at 3 years, more like 13 years + a blowtorch, and b) I know who I'd put my money on for long term durability testing when it comes between Toyota and any aftermarket company.

Not sure where you got the idea that the Toyota one will fall to bits and the BL one won't...?

-Ian

Not sure where you got the idea that the Toyota one will fall to bits and the BL one won't...?

-Ian

Marketing bumf is where! Hence the post.... think I will just stick with a new Toyota crank pulley and new Toyota tensioner, just wanted to see if there was any hard evidence so to speak for going one way or the other.

Cheers,

Brian.

Mmm, that's an interesting argument, but a) I've never heard of a stocker failing at 3 years, more like 13 years + a blowtorch, and b) I know who I'd put my money on for long term durability testing when it comes between Toyota and any aftermarket company.

-Ian

Im glad this brought up as I want to change my pully's soon for aftermarket blue ones, but is wise to, this is purely for cosmetics under the hood. I hate the manky, slightly worn look of mine, but aware that peolple argue about the dampening factors of some of these aftermarket pully kits.

Whats your views Ian, and if I do want a blue set what ones would you advise are 'probably' best to go for....?

I've got a couple of Greddy accessory pulleys on mine.

The ancillaries like the PAS pump, water pump, and alternator can be swapped out for the light anodised ally ones no problem - they have no damping effect at all. It's just the crank that is the dodgy one. Don't expect any power gains though, just accept that they are shiny shiny and that's all :)

I didn't even bother swapping the alternator pulley, it's tiny and very hard to swap. I use it as a pen holder on my desk :)

-Ian

Interested here too as I'll be asking when your Dad is free to do mine soon too. May also help clear up some squeeks by getting the parts you mentioned replaced.

Other items to think about replacing pre-emptively (in addition to crank pulley and tensioner) when getting a timing belt done are the bearings associated with the timing belt and maybe the water pump since you're in there anyways.

Cheers,

Brian.