The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best motorway cruiser?

tbourner

I may be getting a new job soon that will involve an hour long motorway commute (at midnight!! :eyebrows: ), and I don't fancy doing it in the Yaris!!!

As it comes with a pretty good pay rise, I'll be looking into getting another car.

Obviously the Supra is top of the list, but then I saw a BMW 850 (which I've always loved), and wondered what else there is out there.

So come on give me some ideas. It'd need to be in the same league although not necessarily a mahoosive car with a big engine (I'm also considering an Audi A4 or maybe just a Golf diesel!!), but I need to keep the cost down preferably arround 7k ish.

So far I've only got:

Supra

Aristo

Soarer

BMW850

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep coming back to the Supra idea, I loved mine to bits and always said I'd get another one - but if I did I know I'd end up with a kitted single monster money pit!!!! I only want a standard car to get to work in!!

I'm sure an 850 would guzzle fuel, but I was more worried about reliability and cost if it did break!

What other Lexii are there? I don't know much about them except that I can't afford a new IS yet! :D

The Aristo is a great cruiser, it's like having the power of the TT (albeit with a bit extra weight) but while you're sat in a leather armchair :D

Another one you might like is one of the Lexus LS430's - that's supposed to be one of the smoothest rides you'll ever get in and they've got a bit of poke due to the 4.3L V8, also the older ones are alright too, the LS400's, with the 4L V8.

As for other models you've got the GS, same as the Aristo but N/A, the RX which is the larger 4x4, and the SC which is the sportier (in a hairdresser way) car, basically the new Soarer.

The 850's are plagued with problems, hence the reason they are so cheap...

I had a 520i E42 shape (think it was E42), and that was lovely... my dad now has the car and he does trips down from Northhampton to Reading fairly often..all motorway... and he is returning around 7l/100miles... Not blazingly quick since it is a 2l, but it is certainly comfortable and goes well... I paid 2k for the M-reg 5 series.

Golf TDI is also a very good choice, strong car and VERY economical

I did a 200 mile trip in the Supra the other night, quiet roads, cruise set to 80 leptons, heated seat on.... effortless and only 1/2 a tank of fuel.

Having said this I'd probably get an X-Type, 3.0 V6 Sport - a friend has one and it's so smooth, the manual is like driving an auto, 4WD, cheap parts thanks to it being Mondeo-based (£75 for a full set of discs and pads) and has a bit of class to it. 'Only' ~230bhp but feels quick enough.

I did a 200 mile trip in the Supra the other night, quiet roads, cruise set to 80 leptons, heated seat on.... effortless and only 1/2 a tank of fuel.

At first I thought that was really good mpg but then remembered the second half of the tank only lasts 50 miles. ;)

Whilst the Supra is possibly the most comfortable cruiser on the planet...I'd never commute again in one (used to do 80miles a day). It's just too uneconomic when you factor in the fuel/tyresserviceing etc.

I'd scrap the Yaris and get a second hand VAG 1.9TDi powered car. A3, A4, A6, Golf, Passat, Octavia (yes I know!), Leon.

Audi S8

Cheap to buy now but the cost of any potential repairs scares me a little, especially after the 'box on the A6 I used cost ~£5000 to fix after only 50k - I guess this won't be an issue if you get a good one.

Amazing machines, so many toys for so little money :)

You can pick up 3.2 V6 Phaetons for £16k - I was looking at them on the trader the other night.

Another idea, how about one of the newer 'base' model Skyline 350GTs?

Admittedly I don't know much about them as far as driving goes but they look nice (with bigger wheels) and you don't see many around.

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/naiaspic/20060420/07/22591937.jpg

I bought a stock TT for work kinda figuring that the mpg would be better than the 740i I sold. The 740i was the facelift 4.4v8 and an absolutely lovely motor, returning 21.4mpg however I drove despite it's weight.

Er, the Supra ? Is for sale. Absolutely love it and I will miss it, but they do drink their fuel, especially when the loud pedal is so addictive :D

If I could stretch to it, I would get a new shape 730d - you have to spend £20-£22k tho.

But fuel is only part of the cost, depreciation can be expensive too and although the fuel is heavy on a Supra, I would like to think that they have done most of their depreciating. Can't see them getting too much cheaper than they have over the last two years ! So although my fuel is expensive in the Supe, don't think I will lose on resale.

BM 850 will be a huge dissapointment :( I had a little play in an 840 and it felt slow, unresponsive, poor brakes and handled like a plate of blancmange. Also, the dash looked sooooo dated (especially compared to the Supe).

I had previously always fancied an 8 series BM but now I most certainly wouldn't bother.

It's only 3 days a week, so the fuel isn't so much of an issue. I'd still consider something like an Audi diesel though maybe (cos I love them so much! :D ).

I think a nice unmolested (yeah right) TT 6spd is still top of the list at the moment......... well maybe just a decat then :p .

Audi S8

Almost bought one of these a few months back. Great cars but like previously stated cost a bomb to fix. I think they can have gearbox issues too. You could think about an A8 though as they are ridiculously cheap now and I don't think it's possible to get more car for your money.

On the Toyota side of things have you thought a Altezza, maybe with the Beams 220bhp engine? That'd be fun...

OK well the thought of £70 for 3 days on fuel has prompted me away from the Supra/Aristo/etc idea!!

So I test drove an 03 plate Toyota Avensis yesterday.

It's such an old mans car but I have to say I was pleasantly suprised!! Nowhere near fast enough but it was so nice to sit in complete comfort, wafting along, not feeling the speed bumps down my road!!!

So that's become a perfectly viable option now.

May go and test drive a Mazda 6 as well tonight.