The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cons of wheels spacers?

GazzaGSi

Umm, got me worried now. Jus fitted a set of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230037557396&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1 (the 5mm set)

Should I take them off? I just wanted the wheel to sit out alittle more.

And Ive had the wheels off numerous times and ive never come across the spigott rings....

Help springs to mind. I dont want no wheels falling off!

I can supply alu spigot rings if needed, in stock here.

Is it one size fits all or do you need to know the inside diameter of the wheel where it sits on the spigot ring?

Also, after doing a search for hubcentric on ebay, i came accross these: http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&shortcut=0&from=R41&query=hubcentric&category0=

Just a slight difference in quality!! Going back out to take them off!

Right, got them all back off, here is a pic of how they seated:

Didnt think it looked right which is why I made this thread earlier.

Plus, I do not see no spigot ring on the following 2 pics:

Nic, I wish I had read your reply so I could of measured the diameter while I was taking the spacers back off. I'll leave it till another day now to take a wheel back off and measure it for you. Do you need to know the diameter of the hub lip where the spigot ring sits on as well as the inside diameter of the wheel?

Cheers all, sounds like you've all saved me some cash on new tires, wheels bearings etc. Nic, could you please send us a price for 4 spigot rings. Thanks.

Nic, I wish I had read your reply so I could of measured the diameter while I was taking the spacers back off. I'll leave it till another day now to take a wheel back off and measure it for you. Do you need to know the diameter of the hub lip where the spigot ring sits on as well as the inside diameter of the wheel?

Cheers all, sounds like you've all saved me some cash on new tires, wheels bearings etc. Nic, could you please send us a price for 4 spigot rings. Thanks.

Hi Gaz

I don't need the diameter of the hub as these are all the same on the Supra. I'd just the inner diameter of the wheels.

cheers

The standard wheel studs should be ok with 5mm spacers - the bit I don't understnd is why/how do spacers place extra strain on the wheel bearings? Surely it's the same as having the same wheel with adifferent offset? Isn't the offset of a wheel determined by the amount of metal at the mounting face as opposed to moving the spokes themselves in? i.e. the manufacturers trim more off the mounting face in order to alter the offset?

Chris, it doesn't matter whether it's done with spacers or the actual offset of the wheel, basically you are moving the mass of the wheel+tyre further out than designed which puts extra force on the suspension joints. Think of a lever, the longer the lever is from the pivot point the more force is exerted on the opposite end.

Hi Simon, I fully understand the physics of it :) - what I don't get is the difference between a rim with an acceptable offset and one without but using spacers??

Is the difference in the placement of the spokes within the rim itself or are certain rim designs simply 'bad' for certain applications?

In which case, should we all be running reasonably deep dish rims with a low offset to keep the wheel 'central' in line with the hub?? :)

That's pretty much my understanding of it too :). I can see how too much spacer can move the wheels out too far but in moderate amounts I can't see the problem (so long as they're decent quality hubcentric jobbies). I used H&R on mine - fantastic fit and you can feel the quality:) :)

holy shit dude that is not good. don't use those ever again ffs

I wont! Trust me!

While the wheel was removed i checked to find the offset, the only number I could find which related to it was '45'.

If I were to fit a 5mm spacer would my offset then become 50 or 40?

There was enough thread left to screw the nuts back on but I wouldnt go bigger.

Shame really, just wanted to make the wheels more flush with body as they seem abit sunk in.

Thanks all for your help!

:thumbs: