The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Seatbelts

charlton

My drivers side seat belt sometimes fails to retact properly and leaves a nice slack belt. I need to replace it or have a poke around in the area somewhere and I know that some seat belts have detonation charges in them, so how safe will it be for me to replace it in the Supe?

Can I swap belts with one of the rear passengers or do they have different fitments?

Anyone got any experience with this?

whats that about then? did your car used to belong to mr bond?:D

:D No, Mr Raikes! the charges go off to lock the seatbelt in the event of a crash and stop you flying out

Are you thinking of seatbelt pretensioners? Don't know about the facelift models, but I'm fairly sure mine doesn't have them.

not pretensioners, the thing that winds the belt back in is knackered so it leaves your belt hanging around and wouldn't hold me in place if I did have a prang.

Any suppliers here know anything about the seatbelts? (apart from being black etc)

i replaced mine when mine was doing this - you just need a donor one that doesn't get stuck when retracting

IIRC, the passenger & drivers one are slightly different in terms of the brackets that screw onto the chassis etc. It was a bit of a ballache getting to the bolts that hold them on without removing the rear plastic etc but definitely possible as i still managed it.

The rear ones again i would assume to be different as they don't have the pre-tensioner bit & the required electrical connection for this.

Try the for sale threads for cars being broken or a member called jezzybabes :)

from what i remember, the bit you want is basically all one unit yes - it's the belt which has a bracket attached to it & an electrical connector

i'll check out in the shed later to see if i've still got the passenger one that i didn't use & if i have i'll take a pic for you :)