The mkiv Supra Owners Club

vredestein kumho or nankang?

cookci

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cant afford any other tyres than these!

ive used nankang NS2's before and been very satisfied with them but not the others?

what u all reckon?

Personally if I was you I'd save a bit more and get something better on there, I've got Maxxis tyres on the Aristo at the moment and they really are crap, lose traction all the time in the dry, just noit designed for the high power, have you looked into buying some of the Toyo's off eBay as I hear they can be gotten very cheaply off there.

I'll be swapping these asap, they were on the car when I bought it but they're really not suited to the car at all if I'm being honest.

The way I look at it yes you may make a saving on tyres but is that going to be worth it if you have an accident due to the tyres not being up to the job?

My local tyre place was always trying to sell me the Vredesteins when I had my IS200, but now they've seen this car they've said as much as they push them and like them, they couldn't say whether the sidewall would hold out and therefore recommended I gave them a miss.

I thought kumho's rated better that nankangs, I've never used or heard of the frankentstein ones you mentioned.

I had nankangs on my mr2 tubby when I got it, they were on there about a fortnight, then I nearly died in the wet due to lack of grip and the tyre bloke said the nankangs were to blame. Everyone in the mr2 club also said the guy who put the nankangs on the car must be 'not of a sound mind' to put them on.

Don't go cheap on the rubber.....

There are some other threads regarding something similar.. remember it is the rubber that sticks you to the road, unless you want sliding around every corner put on some decent boots.

Falkens are a suprise entry, in that they are actually very good for the money, I've used them on a few different cars and they are as good as the GS03 (if only a bit softer so they wear slightly quicker). My first choice is Michellin Pilots every time, however the Falken's are my only choice if on a budget.

Nankangs are awful. Totally abysmal in the wet, nothing short of lethal.

I'll be replacing them with Goodyear GSD3's soon!

There are better tyres out there for only a couple of pounds more. Someone posted a few months ago about a very good tyre that's amazing value. I just can't remember which one!

on the back of my car is yoko sports

on the front i have one kumho and one pirelli p zero rosso.

my car handles like a bag of sh*te. has no grip off the line in the wet and loses the back end easily!

are the yoko's any good? they perhaps have a little life left in them so could match them on the front

Actually the vredestein tyres I've tried in the past were damn good. Not on a Supra though, it was on a Beemer.

Honestly Cookci, don't skimp on tyres. Buy decent ones even if you have to bung it on your credit card. Otherwise sell the car and get something you can afford to run.

If you can't afford decent rubber what are you going to do if your Supe has a mechanical problem which could easily cost you 4x the price of a set of tyres?

I notice you can still afford decat pipes and the like.

:rolleyes:

Honestly Cookci, don't skimp on tyres. Buy decent ones even if you have to bung it on your credit card. Otherwise sell the car and get something you can afford to run.

If you can't afford decent rubber what are you going to do if your Supe has a mechanical problem which could easily cost you 4x the price of a set of tyres?

Never a truer word said...

decating my car cost me £30.

swapped my sat nav for the 2nd decat and the 1st is a hollowed out cat which cost £30.

selecta tyre cut the cat open and had out all the bits and welded it back up and installed it for free :D

falken FK452's arent expensive by the looks of things :)

Actually the vredestein tyres I've tried in the past were damn good. Not on a Supra though, it was on a Beemer.

I notice you can still afford decat pipes and the like.

:rolleyes:

nankang NS2's?? i know the NS1's are bad but not the new ones

i had a set of the NS2's on my celica and it was VERY grippy in mildly wet conditions... infact this car was glued to the road MUCH better than my car prior to that with F1 GSD3 (although it was a rover 216 coupe) lol