The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel nuts

Bobbeh

I need some thoughts on the matter below..

If you had your wheels changed and they had been torqued properly, would you expect them to come loose in a day? (Even if it was a track day with super duper grippy tyres)

After the day on Saturday I had some bad vibrations on the car on the way home and my last lap on the track. Turns out 70% of the nuts were a little loose, ie I could torque them up myself with the X spanner, and one was loose by hand.

Does this indicate the stress on the car over that day was enough to loosen them or that the garage screwed up in a big way!

I'm quite pissed at finding this out as a wheel coming off could have done some serious/expensive damage, but also relieved it was a cheap fix :)

Most were okish, but they could be tightened, one was so loose I could unscrew it by hand with no problems.

I think next time I get them done it'll be after a mile, drive home and check! Its really frustrating.

I know what you mean, didn't Robert have a problem like this with his car ?

I'd say it indicates that the garage nipped them up (hand tight with a wrench) before lowering the car onto the ground, then forgot to torque them.

Was it just one wheel, a pair or all wheels?

I had a wheel start to cause vibrations after doing this. I had only nipped the nuts up with the wrench when it was up in the air. Took about 60 miles to start to make a noise and got progressively worse until I checked it.

Are they aftermarket wheels? If so have you got spigot rings on them so they fit the hub perfectly at 60.1, mine where doing just what you stated above, nuts undoing themselves. because of no spigot rings fitted, the wheels where suported by the studs and nuts!

I need some thoughts on the matter below..

If you had your wheels changed and they had been torqued properly, would you expect them to come loose in a day? (Even if it was a track day with super duper grippy tyres)

After the day on Saturday I had some bad vibrations on the car on the way home and my last lap on the track. Turns out 70% of the nuts were a little loose, ie I could torque them up myself with the X spanner, and one was loose by hand.

Does this indicate the stress on the car over that day was enough to loosen them or that the garage screwed up in a big way!

I'm quite pissed at finding this out as a wheel coming off could have done some serious/expensive damage, but also relieved it was a cheap fix :)

One of three things

1. do you put coppa slip or grease on the studs, that is a defo no no

2. Have you the correct 60.1mm spigots in the wheels

(you'd be suprised how many people don't bother with them):no: :no:

3. Probably they didn't torque them up properly to correct lbft and have you the correct nuts for the wheels ?

No grease on them, I had stock Toyota 17s and standard wheel nuts.

The garage made sure I put the correct nuts on... but one of them down there it seems may have forgotten to torque them one the car was on the ground by the sounds of it!

more than likely,

trouble is you go to these tyre centres and you get some 16 yr old kid who doesn't want to be there working on your car,

Always worries me when they take a bar to your nice rims when fitting new tyres..