The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinions Please - UK Black AUTO -

Phil-M

Right - have come across this car on ebay of all places - seems good in the pics - has done very high miles - have e-mailed asking for a p/x on my mr2 but what do you mkiv boffins reckon - Is it good value for the car..?

Planning on keeping it stock for a few months and them possibly going for a single turbo conversion.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/96-N-TOYOTA-SUPRA-3-0-TWIN-TURBO-UK-CAR-AUTO-1-OWNER_W0QQitemZ280038764726QQihZ018QQcategoryZ18290QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for all the help - much appreciated.

Hmm, sounds nice.. hes owned 14 twin turbos and yet this one hes owned since day one? Sounds a bit weird. Looks in great condition though.

I read it that he's a dealer, not the one owner who has done all the mileage.

It looks in very good condition visibly. I would want to have a thorough check over it and see the receipts from the service history to see what has been done to it throughout it's life.

are you gonna uprate the internals?

just toying with the idea of going single - if i do buy it, it will remain standard for a good few months as i need to get the wife insured on it - I will have 5 years no claims in May '07 - and then the modding will begin :D (am saving for the mods - but want a similar spec as the uk one that is currently in the for sale section)

you'd be better off just buying that one then beause mod's cost so much and you save thousands buying 1 already done.

what sort of costs are involved doing a single coversion properly..? cant buy one already done as i can t afford to buy one (sen them going from 12-15k)or get insured on a supra with mods due to having 6 points on my licence and getting the wife insured as she will also be driving it for some months...

just noticed the services are done every 9000 miles, in my UK toyota service book it says to service every 3000 miles or 1500 under adverse conditions, but suppose as it still going with that mileage then it can't be bad.

Personally i'd buy a J spec with 1/4 of that mileage for around the same price. But will admit it does look very good condition, maybe a little to good??

just noticed the services are done every 9000 miles, in my UK toyota service book it says to service every 3000 miles or 1500 under adverse conditions, but suppose as it still going with that mileage then it can't be bad.

Personally i'd buy a J spec with 1/4 of that mileage for around the same price. But will admit it does look very good condition, maybe a little to good??

Does it? Where. I'll check it out in mine :)

As far as A-B services go its every 9k miles.

Phil, you may have said on other threads but just wondering why you're only looking at UK Supras?

As you've probably realised with the budget you've got (£8k) you're limited to high mileage UK TT's. You may drop on a decent auto for that price but you'll have to wait. You're obviously not deterred by really high milers but most other people will be when you come to sell.

£8k will buy you a very nice Jspec auto TT with all the trimmings and prob a stock 6 speed. If it's insurance that's the probem then call our club insurer Sky, it makes no difference to them if it's UK or Jspec.

Guest lfelton

not sure if I've understood Graham correctly, but the main services are at 9K intervals, with an intermediate oil change at 4.5K miles after the main service. So it goes, A or B followed by intermediate followed by A or B and so on at 4.5K intervals. Hope that helps. IMO it is a really bad idea to buy a car that has skipped the intermediates!

£8k will buy you a very nice Jspec auto TT with all the trimmings and prob a stock 6 speed. If it's insurance that's the probem then call our club insurer Sky, it makes no difference to them if it's UK or Jspec.

looking into it so j-spec could be an option but then i'm spoiled for choice :D

If a J-spec becomes an option I have a '96 N reg GZ auto or a 94 RZ 6 speed that could suit :D

There you go matey, CJ to the rescue!

You wouldn't get either of those two models in a UK equivalent for your budget, and no doubt very nice examples too from CJ.

Everybody who first looks to get a Supra wants a low mileage black 6 speed UK TT. Then you realise it's not possible and get a Jspec! ;) (unless your name's Bobbeh).

not sure if I've understood Graham correctly, but the main services are at 9K intervals, with an intermediate oil change at 4.5K miles after the main service. So it goes, A or B followed by intermediate followed by A or B and so on at 4.5K intervals. Hope that helps. IMO it is a really bad idea to buy a car that has skipped the intermediates!

i have enquired about 3 iuk supra's today and all have said the service intervals between each service IS 9000 miles.....

anyway if i can get a good decent spec j-spec with history in black then that may be the answer however i'll have to see if the wife can get insured at 22 yrs old :rolleyes:

anyway spoke to the chap selling the black one and it sounds a good genuine car and he knows of this forum saying he has sold a few to club members uk cars - only problem for me is its a good 2 1/2 hours drive and he's not wanting to p/x with my mr2 as he has had people interested for cash so i'll see what happens.

Cheers for the help peeps :friends:

p.s. there is a silver one on ebay also, a manual with mods but think he's after around 9500

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UK-Toyota-Supra-twin-turbo-six-speed-manual_W0QQitemZ230038204401QQihZ013QQcategoryZ18290QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cj - if i was to go with a jspec would you take a rev3 mr2 turbo in p/x..value approx 4k - just weighing up my options atm...

At the prices I am offering I'm afraid a p/ex isn't an option sorry. If I were you, I would look to sell the MR2 on IMOC, Autotrader or Pistonheads.

Phil

Original UK service schedules in '94 were 6000 miles, as they were for all Toyotas. From '95 on it was 9000 miles. Where did the intermediates come from?

UK cars are still perceived to be be more desirable than jap for the following reasons..........

1. Insurance is supposed to be cheaper

2. More likely to have FTSH

3. Bigger brakes,17'' wheels etc..

4. Are harder to source - only 600 UK cars..................

But........

If you have managed to find one of these 600 UK cars, why would you convert it to single turbo? Surely it's going to be worth more in standard form.

Check the insurance - UK and Jap is normally now the same (Admiral, Direct Line etc)

You are going to find a newer Import with better spec for less money.

Bigger brakes / stock wheels turn up regularly in the for sale forums.

Last UK car is now 10 years old :(

On the other hand, there are some nasty j-spec cars around as well.

Be careful..........:)

Hi All,

It is I selling the N reg UK Supra with High miles - I can honestly say it is as good as you will get - there is NO smoke from cold start - no rattles and the twin turbo's still perform as good as any other i have had.....

2 people off the Toyota Owners Club have seen this car and believe me they were amazed at the condition.... ANY INSPECTION IS MORE THAN WELCOME..!!!!

I have done over 200 miles since buying it and it really does drive like a dream - There are absolutely no tell tale signs that this supra has covered that kind of mileage....

was thinking of keeping it - good conversation point in meets turning up in the highest mileage uk soop currently around :D

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59320&pid=584584&st=0entry584584

Cheers - Rash

p.s. I have also owned one of the lowest mileage UK Supra's also - 96/N UK TT 6 SPeed done 42k when i had it last year