The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone removed the top spoiler before? Paintwork Q!

Rayman

I have the stock top spoiler on mine, you know the plastic roof one, well i was wondering who's removed one before. I had a little go at the weekend and realised the paintwork wasnt in the best condition right underneath it, its obviously been on since it came out of the factory in 1995 so 11yrs of dirt and little air etc.

If anyone's removed one before, did the paintwork clean up all right, i basically took one look at the paintwork last weekend underneath it and thought id best leave it on.:blink:

I really want to take it off tho, but will i be able to bring the paintwork back to life? On another note the top spoiler seems pretty good at keeping the back window clean, but im not too fussed about that as i want a smoother look.:cool:

You'll have to imagine how bad it was as i should have took some photo's!

So has anyone had first hand experience of removing this spoiler and bringing the paintwork up to the standard of the rest of the car? Will there be lines left etc?

Cheers:D

ITS NOT EASY :(

My paint is completely screwed where I removed mine, even after machine polish, t-cut, elbow grease and anything else I could think of. Budget for a tailgate respray if yours is as bad as mine. It buggered the rear windscreen as well.

Mine was held on by super-sticky double sided tape as well as the 4 screws, two either side. Undo the screws and the brackets will come away, then take a deep breath and pull the bastard thing off :innocent:

Then spend the next 48 hours trying to get the double sided tape off (I swear its backed with superglue or something)

Not that i'm bitter.

Gaz

ITS NOT EASY :(

My paint is completely screwed where I removed mine, even after machine polish, t-cut, elbow grease and anything else I could think of. Budget for a tailgate respray if yours is as bad as mine. It buggered the rear windscreen as well.

Mine was held on by super-sticky double sided tape as well as the 4 screws, two either side. Undo the screws and the brackets will come away, then take a deep breath and pull the bastard thing off :innocent:

Then spend the next 48 hours trying to get the double sided tape off (I swear its backed with superglue or something)

Not that i'm bitter.

Gaz

i am now thinking mine had been off before :blink:

Thanks everyone, it doesnt sound too good Gaz for me. Might give it a go, nothing to loose, although id have to stick it back on wudnt i if i removed it! hmmmm:rolleyes:

Ive got a porter cable polisher btw, tempted to give it a whirl at weekend again!

My old Aerotop had one. The leading edge was catching the roof when the hatch was lifted due to the double-sided sticky stuff degrading and lifting. When I took it off, the side-clamps had made deep marks in the paint and the double sided stuff was a right bitch to get off but petrol and lolly sticks did it in the end. I let JIC have it for free when I pxed the car...not my brightest move.

i must have been quite lucky with mine,

It was well stuck on but with a bit of heat it came off quite easy, a bit of t-cut on the paintwork and it came up all right, you cant tell now that there was anything there

Yours can't have been on there long - the sun had baked the double-sided tape onto my paint :(

They can be really hard to get off, That double sided sticky tape would stop the santa pod rocket car from moving :) best thing to do is warm it up with a hair drier dont over heat the paint though. Scrape the tape up and pick off as much as you can as mentioned earlier with lolly sticks or something that will not dig into the paint or you will need respray :cry: Then use petrol and some mutton cloth to remove the thinner clue that is left.

On a previous sup i had to use a really fine wet and dry to get rid of the marks that were left and then compound, T cut and polish to get the shine back again. but you must go very very carefull as you can easily rub it back to the base primer and then its respray time again.