The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to get the most power out of a UK TT Manual?

J33LUS

Hi guys,

My mate has a totally bog standard UK Supra TT 6sp manual and it goes like fook already.

What is the best and least expensive way to get more power out of it. I told him an induction kit: Air filter, Decat and Exhaust.

Is this correct and how much power do you think he will get out of it?

Also, if there is any other advice on engine mods for the car then please let me know.

I know it depends on budget, so lets say £1500 :(

What id do is, and i did do.

Is buy a double megan racing decat off ebay, you can get these for less than £100 if you keep your peepers peeled, and there is lots on usa ebay.

Then get a cat back exhaust, £400, or a 2nd hand one for

You'll need some plugs, Ik24 denso's, which are about £50.

a Fcd, thor being the best, £65.

A boost controller ideally, £250.

And a new side mount would be a good idea, not essential, but you would see noticable gains if you got one, as chances are your sidemount is fookered. Miami-gt does these for £300, or you could invest in a fmic, 2row, for about £500.

You dont need an air filter as you'll end up sucking hot air into your intake and loosing hp, the standard box is v.well ducted, a replacement panel filter would be ok.

You wouldnt be far off 450 then id imagine.

So there you go, lots of gee gees, for less than £1200 :) (inc sidemount)

Just to re-itterate...don't get an induction kit. :)

3" exhaust from turbo's to tip + a boost controller such as the SBC-iD from Blitz would be my recommendation. (with an FCD, and spark plugs)

Totally agree though that the IC will need inspecting/replacing.

Just as a slight hijack question.... has there ever been an accepted safe BAR value limit for the UK turbos ?

1.3BAR ? 1.4BAR ?

The general accepted limit for J-specs is 1.2BAR but haven't read anywhere what it is for us UK-specs.

Double decat, is taking out of the two cat pipes. Hence making it a long bit of stainless steel. Standard boost is 0.8? For Jspec not sure if its diff for uk.

BHP should be about 370-400 at the fly wheel I would assume.

Yeah on a UK u would see really good gains

Yeah on a UK u would see really good gains

When i 1st bpu'd my uk spec, i put an apexi boost controller on it, set to 1bar, and a decat+exhaust on. The difference was huge! when the 2nd turbo came online it was soo fast. Plus the noise off the 3" straight thru decat and exhaust was great :D sounded like a turbo'd v8 ;)

Ive noticed a decatted jap spec doesnt sound like this though? im guessing its because of the difference in turbo blades?

strange.

When i 1st bpu'd my uk spec, i put an apexi boost controller on it, set to 1bar, and a decat+exhaust on. The difference was huge! when the 2nd turbo came online it was soo fast. Plus the noise off the 3" straight thru decat and exhaust was great :D sounded like a turbo'd v8 ;)

Ive noticed a decatted jap spec doesnt sound like this though? im guessing its because of the difference in turbo blades?

strange.

Mine are hybrids so sounds even better!!

Just as a slight hijack question.... has there ever been an accepted safe BAR value limit for the UK turbos ?

1.3BAR ? 1.4BAR ?.

Let's clear this up once and for all:

SAFE is stock. Once you start eating in the safety margins, reliability suffers.

And once you have to fit a FCD all bets are off.

With the above caveat out of the way, mine are stock UK units, far from new, and they hit 1.6 regularly.

However, if you're not sure you know what you're doing, best is to play it safe

Also remember that boost pressure is not an accurate indicator of turbo shaft rpm, just a very rough one.