The mkiv Supra Owners Club

High Mileage - Yay or Nay

Phil-M

From what i've been reading the supra's are easily good for 120/130k providing they have been serviced regularly.......

What I want to ask is at what mileage would you say is too high to buy... I remember when looking for an MR2 (was going for a uk one originally but ended up with a turbo)

I went to see a few that had covered 150k that seemed straight enough and drove fine but some were not so good...

How good is a supra for high mileage - are the seats/bolsters of a good quality that dont rip, or do they? Engine capable of high mileage?

Who has a high mileage Uk Supra and have you had any major issues with them...?

Reason I ask is just seen a silver UK done 159k on it on the autotrader for just shy of 7k.

Cheers

p.s. sorry for the million and one questions but just want to make sure I get a decent one and not a shodder...!

Personally I would not want to buy a car with that amount of miles. They may have been serviced on a regular basis but that car would have seen a lot of work and standard things like suspension etc will need to be looked at very carefully.

I really think that what you might be saving on insurance you could end up paying on remedial work very soon.

I hear what you are saying Cj - however in 'some' cases it is hard to warrant GENUINE miles on some imports as i found out when looking for an MR2 - I'm sure the same goes for the Supra's....

However i know some cars have no difference even with high miles - My father has a Y reg Golf Diesel currently sitting on 207k and it drives fine with absolutely nothing wrong with it whatsoever - even the interior looks as new although he has

changed the drivers side floor mat several times :D

Bought my NA Aero in August and it was the best of the four I test drove, despite having 130k on the clock - the only one that came close only had 55k on the clock but they wanted £2000 more than I paid for mine!

The interior is tired and the seats could do with re-upholstering (more from the leaky Aero top than age) - Scratched dash and worn carpets but nothing awful.

I was told that the engines are good for 200k and mine is a fantastic drive :)

High mileage engines /cars shouldn't be of any problem if serviced and you've generally checked over it.

If you check the obvious things like rust, engine condition, general wear and tear etc. etc. and if you find there isn't any then a high mileage car shouldn't be a problem.

Things like suspension shockers and springs will sagg over time and can easily be replaced with uprated units etc. Something that a lot of people do anyway even though their stock units are still in good condition.

But I guess one of the main things to look out for is rust.

With mileage it's always the psychological barrier of 100k that puts most people off.

I have a Jspec TT with 105k miles on the clock. I know when I come to sell it I'll struggle because people still unrealistically want a 12 year old car with 50k miles.

Mileage on a 3 litre car isn't half the issue it is with a 1 litre car. My Sup may have done over 100k but it's been very well looked after. The engine and turbo's still pull like a train and I've had no issues with it whatsoever. Everybody who sees it cant beleve it's age or mileage - it really does look as though it's only a couple years old (yellow headlights aside! ;) )

The mileage wouldn't frighten me unduly, but the price is outrageous, if it was about £3750 it would be OK.

I would agree Chris. Although would the mileage frighten you more if you didn't have your knowledge an skills and had to rely on others should anything go wrong? :)

I dont think i would be frightened of high miles personally as long as the history is good, and the car sounds and drives like it should - Oh and the price reflects the mileage :) A high mileage uk should be ok (and cheap) and then i could always go single ifi get bored with the twin turbo's.

So the savings i make on buying a high mileage uk i can use towards going single as and when i want.. that make any sense :D

Am just shy of 140k at the moment and only problem i've had is the electric aerial (sp) gave up the ghost about 15k ago. (Can't comment on the first 72k since she wasn't mine then). Still original parts except for the brake system I uprated last year afaik.

I would say 'consider' a high miler but make sure it shows all the signs of being looked after during that time if you do.

Ages ago when I was looking for a Porker (shame on me :(), Paragon Porsche reccomended customers to ignore the milage and buy on condition - look through the cosmetic niceties and really look at the condition of the car - a far better indication of how well it has/hasn't been looked after.