The mkiv Supra Owners Club

decat on n/a how much? noise?

Guest timalbert

Guest timalbert

im looking to get a decat pipe soon,i have been quoted £80 fitted.is that ok? will it make the car louder as i have a 5inch stainless fromthe cat back already?

Depending on which cat you are removing will determine how much sound increase you get. I forget which way round it is but one of them barely changes the sound at all, and the other changes it a fair bit. I noticed a lovely sounding difference when I had mine done. Also depends on which exhaust you're running.

Oh, and yeah £80 fitted sounds pretty cheap to me.

im looking to get a decat pipe soon,i have been quoted £80 fitted.is that ok? will it make the car louder as i have a 5inch stainless fromthe cat back already?

I have a Trail 5in system and that is damn loud,

I am thinking of having Turbo fit do me a 2nd decat when they do my Custom Air intake tube,

But i am worried too.. if it will be too loud, and horrible on the Motorway, its drones at 70 as it is so you have to sit at 80mph

Lui has no cats in his Supe and still not a loud as mine,

Think it depends on your system to be honest

Depending on which cat you are removing will determine how much sound increase you get. I forget which way round it is but one of them barely changes the sound at all, and the other changes it a fair bit. I noticed a lovely sounding difference when I had mine done. Also depends on which exhaust you're running.

Was yours a 2nd decat ? Any noticeable running changes or drop in mpg

Guest timalbert

yah it was gunna be the first one nearest the backbox.will i see any benefits? every zorst place i try say they wont touch the second cat which i believe is on the downpipe

The first cat is the most restrictive, as you can see in the pic below. Removing the cats on an NA will make it a LOT louder, especially with an after market exhaust fitted.

[qimg]http://mkiv.com/techarticles/downpipe_pics/stock_cats/prim_cat.jpg[/qimg]

Cheers nice one

Heard that alot, that the NA will be blo**dy loud if you remove both and not recommended for road use as would be unbearable

2nd cat should free up something though and perhaps change the Tone ?

cheers nic is that the one nearest the backbox?

Hi Tim

The first cat is the one nearest the engine.

Removing both cats will free up some extra power and make the car rev freer, but be warned with your 5" exhaust it will be ear bleedingly loud. I'd suggest fitting a removeable baffle in the tail pipe if you do remove the cats.

cheers

But Lui has turbos :eyebrows:

my na when i had it, was louder with the 2nd cat out than my tt is now and thats fully decatted :)

:yeahthat:

The turbos on a TT muffle the sound from the exhaust significantly. On a de-catted TT the exhaust note is a lot lower/deeper, on a de-catted NA it is higher pitched and louder.

Cheers nice one

Heard that alot, that the NA will be blo**dy loud if you remove both and not recommended for road use as would be unbearable

2nd cat should free up something though and perhaps change the Tone ?

This is a myth mate, I have both cats out and it isn't THAT loud. To be honest, at idle it's extremely quiet, only at the higher revs is the difference of the decats more noticeable. Sounds great though as anyone who has the same setup or has heard mine will agree. :)

This is a myth mate, I have both cats out and it isn't THAT loud. To be honest, at idle it's extremely quiet, only at the higher revs is the difference of the decats more noticeable. Sounds great though as anyone who has the same setup or has heard mine will agree. :)

Me too both cats out a loverly purring sound .all depends on your back box TAKE EM BOTH OUT .dont be a wimp;)

Hi Tim

The first cat is the one nearest the engine.

Removing both cats will free up some extra power and make the car rev freer, but be warned with your 5" exhaust it will be ear bleedingly loud. I'd suggest fitting a removeable baffle in the tail pipe if you do remove the cats.

cheers

I really don't think it's that loud mate to be honest. Yeah it's louder but it's not like I get any complaints or anything! Obviously it depends on the exhaust you have but with mine it just sounds awesome, not too loud at all.