The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU (J-Spec) with stock exhaust.

carl0s

Will it be possible for me to reach BPU levels of boost (18psi) with the OEM exhaust, simply by fitting a full 3" decat?

Call me a boring sod, but since getting this stock J-Spec motor, I'm seriously loving the quietness, and have decided to leave off the almost-new Greddy Power-Extreme II exhaust that I had on the UK car.

So, will it work? :)

p.s. yup.. these Jap cars are very nice :D I can't get over how drivable and 'springy' feeling it is off the no1 turbo. There's very little to notice from no2 though, but I'm comparing against a BPU UK car while this Jap car is completely stock.

Shuper. This is sounding good then :thumbs:

The stock suspension is sooooooo nice too :D

How sad am I? ;)

It's not in need of lowering like my UK car was, and even though I tried for the softest aftermarket springs for that car, this new one with (I presume) stock facelift jap suspension is light years ahead in terms of comfort and umm.. everything!

• 2 years later...

Yes I think so. Stock exhaust quite restrictive though so I can't remember whether I left the restrictor ring off altogether or if it just needed making a lot larger. I've put the stock exhaust back on again now anyway, so I need to reassess the restrictor ring situation. The PE-II exhaust is for sale, even though I think it's the best balance of sound/sportyness in terms of aftermarket exhausts, I'm liking the refined sound/feel again. Missus is a bit upset, more so that I'm selling the exhaust off "her" car ;)

Because the back box is too much of a restriction and therefore EGTs go up.

Just what i'd read.

I've not experimented with a stock (cat back) exhaust system, but I fail to see how it can be worse than a nasty 2" restrictor ring which must have horrific flow characteristics.

A restrictor ring is far more restrictive then most exhaust components that people accuse of raising EGT's IMO.