The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Needing some advice

Matt _Aero top_

Just bought some new shocker tops for my 1995 j-spec N/A from mr toyota because i've got a knocking on the front drivers side , I was told this could be due to the bearing in the shocker top being nackered ? But upon taking a look at the shocker top i can't see no bearing all i can see is a rubber donut in the middle with one round the outer aswell , Mr toyota asures me these are the correct ones for my car so was i miss led with this bearing business ?

I've torqued my subframe bolts up to the correct torque ( i think ) but this made no difference .

Any ideas lads ???:search:

You're correct to be suspicious, there are no bearings in stock supra damper. Perhaps they meant the top mounts were gone? Very, very rare and I doubt this, more likely just a faulty damper or lower damper bush (either of which results in a damper replacement as I think the lower bushes aren’t available separately).

£140 for top mounts!!! Go back to them and speak to the service manager right away and ask for a full explaination. May also be worth asking Steve Manley at Toyota Oxford for a 'real' price on those items! I bet they shouldn't be priced anywhere near that.

Plus it says on my invoice that items cannot be returned for credit so i think this maybe £140 down the toilet ?

How many upper mounts did you buy for £140, all 4?

I sell these for £39 each for the front and £35 each for the rear.

editted: price.

The top mount is just a lump of metal with a hole in it for the damper and 3 studs for going through the bulkhead. On there are the rubber bump stops that can break down and the rubber insulators with the gaitor, the spring rests on these against the top mount.

You only get top mount bearings if the strut turns with the steering and they definately dont on the sup.

Think I've had my trousers pulled down over this ! with me being a newbie to the supra scene a thought i could have trusted Mr T but obiously not !

So any ideas what this knock could be i need all the help i can get ! I've torqued up the subframe and the knocking happens mostly at low speeds over bumpy roads and sometimes when im parking outside my house and mount the car on the curb when i put full lock on it makes a cracking sound ?

Matt, good that you checked the subframe bolts as thats the 1st thing to check. Next, as mentioned, are the drop links but IMO the most likely cause is a worn damper. I would try the drop links first as they are fairly cheap - as long as you buy from Nic or if you can't wait - Steve Manley.