The mkiv Supra Owners Club

whats this light?

cntt

this light came on this morning when I was going to the shop to get milk :) came on after I drove almost 2 miles

check the belt, it seems fine, turned of ignition, start the car again, no light on dash anymore, carry on to the shop, got my stuff, drove home, nothing happened again.

is that the engine light or water pump?

seems a bit odd that it came on, there's nothing wrong, and it hasn't been on since I turned off and start up again.

That means you'v got a fault code logged in the ECU. Do a search on here to find out what the error code is (all you need is a paperclip, seriously!), post up the error code and then we'll take it from there.

At a guess, I'd say you were either braking hard when it came on (brake fluid low warning), or you were doing at least 50mph. If it's the latter, I'd reckon it's a "code 42": speed sensor error. Very common falut, and nothing to do with the actual speed sensor!! :)

Let us know what code the ECU gives you....

ok found the manual in http://www.mkiv.com showing me thats a malfunction indicator lamp, now what exactly is malfunctioning thats beyond me, haven't got a user manual and haven't found anymore info yet, looking everywhere around the car, checking all fluid and oil, there's nothing wrong. Head scratching for saturday morning.

thanks for reply stevie, I wasn't braking at the time but I kicked it down and the road was bumpy :)

lift my foot at 40mph when I saw the light came on :) pulled in and check straight away. never seen it before.

will do a diagnostic shortly, have a meeting in half an hour :( cant do it now

by the way, I just shorten the connection between TE1 and E1 then turn ignition on without starting the engine right?

it's my first Toyota :) just making sure :)

got the code, got 2 codes actually

first one is 41 Throttle Position Sensor Circuit

second one 42 No 1 Speed Sensor Signal Circuit

bang on stevie

so its no biggy, it could have been because the car bounced hard and caused that???

I'm planing on getting a Virtual owrks intake next year which comes with a throttle body, may replace the sensor then, or should I get one of one of the members here for spare?

how about the speed sensor, as Stevie mention its a Very common falut, and nothing to do with the actual speed sensor, does that means I can ignore that???

last though would be that it was a loss connection when it happen. which I hope it was but not good either trying to find the loss connection wherever it is :)

cheers guys

I take it your car has been de restricted and is now reading in MPH instead of KMH?

I think the faulty speed sensor code is actually more likely to be a fault with your speed conversion thats been done, it could be just that a bump in the road caused a slightly loose connection to the conversion chip thingy making the light come on.

• 2 years later...

...i had the same light come on, turned out to be my spark plugs, the two under the manifold hadnae been changed for years...all sorted now and has been fine,

...i had the same light come on, turned out to be my spark plugs, the two under the manifold hadnae been changed for years...all sorted now and has been fine,

The light means an error code has been generated, in your case something spark related has obviously caused it. It'd be good practice to now clear the stored error code in case you have problems in the future.

this light came on this morning when I was going to the shop to get milk :) came on after I drove almost 2 miles

http://www.iol.ie/~egghead/dashlight.jpg

check the belt, it seems fine, turned of ignition, start the car again, no light on dash anymore, carry on to the shop, got my stuff, drove home, nothing happened again.

is that the engine light or water pump?

seems a bit odd that it came on, there's nothing wrong, and it hasn't been on since I turned off and start up again.

The light means an error code has been generated, in your case something spark related has obviously caused it. It'd be good practice to now clear the stored error code in case you have problems in the future.

...cheers mate.

how about the speed sensor, as Stevie mention its a Very common falut, and nothing to do with the actual speed sensor, does that means I can ignore that???

As pistonbroke said, if you've got a speed converter, that can often cause a code 42. The other likely cause is a fault in the buffering circuit of the odometer. This can be fixed by fitting a new odometer (but you'd need to get it set to the car's mileage, otherwise it'll raise legal eyebrows), or the easier way is to fit a speed converter like a Thor DSC: the better speed converters such as the Thor one bypasses the odometer's buffering circuit.