The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Painting dash

Underworld

Yea I know but when you see other people that have painted their dash silver, I suddenly thought oh is it metallic or matt?

i think most people use metallic mate, yes. having said that it's down to personal preference.

pick someone who's done it and ask them which they used, hey presto you'll know you'll like the result ;)

Nice supRo, just what i wanted to hear :)

No worries, it was the 2K/2 Pack stuff that you use for the body - I had my bumper resprayed so I got the dash done at the same time.

Preparation is key! Get that crappy rubber coating off properly!

All the switches and controls come off fairly easily (screw and clip/prong fittings) Except for the cigarette lighter socket. That was a pain so I just masked it off.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=1171

Cheers,

Ro

Hi guys

I'm considering painting my dash as is is currently quite scratched. I'm wondering though if you can buy the vinyl stick on (sticky back plastick) style sheets instead? has anyone bought these? are they any good?

The dash has a rubber coating that get's scratched easily. You need to remove it properly before painting.

Otherwise you can buy new dash panels

I don't really want to buy new panels but I've seen a couple of Sups with a really nice glossy finnish...

Mine will need sanding down quite a lot as I think the previous owner re-sprayed it himself, cos it feels really soft and scratches far too easily - I want a really nice varnished finnish to show off the crome dials etc...

I think I'd get Miami GT to do the work rather than me screwing it up :)

Just wondered if anyone had seen the stick on stuff?

Well from what ive done so far (the area around the gear stick) its quite simple. I didnt have to take off the existing rubbery stuff as it was already done.

I used Wet and dry 1500 + soapy water to scuff the surface, 2 coats of grey primer, then lightly sand back so its not so rough. Acouple of good coats of my silver paint, then I didnt bother wet and drying after this. Leave that for a day then 2 coats of clear laquer, and it looks bloody amazing lol.

Ill get pics up when im finished. Its gonna take a while because im doing the dials, fitting the silver boost gauge, redoing all the leds to blue and spraying the main part of the dash. It will look the shit when its done tho :)

Ooh, Ooh, Ooh.... Changing the leds is next on my list (gonna change all mine to red) are they just standard leds? are they coloured or is it the plastic in front of them?

You make spraying sound sooo easy. I've only got a small garage filled with spiders. it'd be bound to go wrong...

What type of paint are you using?