The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto Vs Manual

Guest M BOSS

So few times eh! I thought it had been done more than that:blink:

That's not counting the threads that were deleted due to:-

Someone upsetting Bikers and starting a flame war.

Super-lover getting banned again

Someone calling Re-Post.

That should account for several me thinks... :D

Super-lover getting banned again

Been banned more than once eh? :p

Back on topic, is there a replacement for the manual box that is easier to source and doesn't demand such a high premium?? i.e. the same type of box fitted to a different make/model??

Any manual box that will comfortably stand drag racing, handle the torque a genuine 900 bhp turbo engine should produce, and not fail will set you back about 15K. Then there's a propshaft, diff, drive shafts and C/V joints (cheaper and prbably a LOT better to put a live axle and spool in it....), clutch et cetera. A proper 900 BHP car is going to cost you 40K plus, easily. The proper big HP Skylines, that do the good times, have cost upwards of 100K , over their development period.

Chris speaks much sense......thats crazy power for the road and no even worth considering in my opinion especially on an auto, and it will drive like an absolute dog, you will need a huge stall, 3500+ and a built transmission which as Chris was saying to do properly wil cost a bomb, and will be like playing russian roulette when launching it, it wont take many at that power level to break it, I was watching a few silly power cars at the pod on sunday and most could'nt put the power down, Dee Ireland in the CRD supra completely shafted something on the launch, not sure what but it looked expensive, could have even been the gearbox, as there was a fair amount of oil on the floor :(

Kev Huntly did a good run but had a shit your pants moment half way up when the car decided to fish tail at 100 + mph ;) Nice one Kev

I think any car at this level of power needs a lot of attention

Guest M BOSS
He didnt mention anything about using it for drag days only either?

in fact he didnt write much at all :rolleyes:

the reason i only wrote drag is because thats all i want it for

Fair enough dude, as CJ said auto box's seem to be the weapon of choice for most big drag supra as well as a high stall and well built tranny (and I dont meet a muscular lady boy!!)

I would like to see a completely gutted car with a more moddest turbo go all out on the drag strip....what turbo setup are you looking at