The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why not LPG conversion?

Guest wobblybox

Guest wobblybox

Hi all, have read a bit about the LPG conversion on the forum here and there doesn't seem to be to many that have it. Is there any blindingly obvious reason why that is?

If its giving the same MPG for half the price surely thats a good thing? if i'm reading it right you lose about 10bhp if even and would u even notice the drop?:blink:

That sounds expensive , you can get the kits to do it yourself.

I've got a brother who's been considering installing it on his BMW 735. About £600 to do it himself.

I agree, 1700 does seem steep. I thought I might pick their brains, then buy and install the kit myself. Still undecided.

not being funny, but what the f**k is the point of buying a car like a 3 litre supra then crying about the fuel consumption and looking at an LPG conversion, if that is your perogative my wife has a 1.3 yaris that would go from here to Australia on a tank of petrol;) , my point is the supra was built as a no compromise performance car (well the TT was) not a 45 mpg urban runaround :rolleyes:

not being funny, but what the f**k is the point of buying a car like a 3 litre supra then crying about the fuel consumption and looking at an LPG conversion, if that is your perogative my wife has a 1.3 yaris that would go from here to Australia on a tank of petrol;) , my point is the supra was built as a no compromise performance car (well the TT was) not a 45 mpg urban runaround :rolleyes:

So if someone told you they could half your mpg for £600 you'd say no because your supra was designed to cost a lot to run? :innocent:

If you've got the choice of high performance or (relative) economy from the same car, that's as close to having your cake and eating it as you can get.

I've got a 405 that does high 50's mpg as my runaround, but the Supra is much more enjoyable to drive (at any speed), but £200 per month in fuel hurts.

Now, if that bill drops by close to half, I might be inclined to use the Supra more often and ditch the 405.

If your finances let you use the Supra all the time, or you don't do many miles, that's great.

I'm still pondering.

Not sure about turbo'd LPG cars, that's one of the reasons I'd like to talk to an 'expert'. They've put LPG on turbo Saabs and Volvos though.

Maybe safer to use LPG when off boost, then automatically switch to petrol when the boost gets up. Maybe?? Not sure about spark plug compatibility etc.

So if someone told you they could half your mpg for £600 you'd say no because your supra was designed to cost a lot to run? :innocent:

no mate, as i have progressed through various cars up to my present 510 rwhp supe i have had to accept that performance comes at a cost namely when you plant your right foot you can watch the fuel gauge going down, this to me is what supras are about not posing in an NA with a body kit pretending your in a fast car and not daring give it some stick cos your worried about your MPG:p

Maybe safer to use LPG when off boost, then automatically switch to petrol when the boost gets up. Maybe?? Not sure about spark plug compatibility etc.

You would maybe need to get a full remap, If it's a weaker fuel things might get a bit lean under boost. Im no expert BTW just thinking out loud.:)

LPG's about 47p per litre. You do loose a little power and you do loose some mpg, but the the net effect is a big saving as teh fuels half price.

I borrowed a mates LPG Jag to go to Brum. It cost about £40 on LPG.

The Supra costs about £80 for the same journey, same speeds (virtually legal).